USC falls to UNCG in first loss of season

Despite limiting UNC Greensboro to a series-low one hit, South Carolina was defeated for the first time this season in a 1-0 loss at Founders Park Sunday.

“We just didn’t do enough offensively today,” coach Chad Holbrook said. “If you would have told me before the game that we would give up one hit, I’d have thought we would’ve won by double-digit runs.” 

In his first start of the season, sophomore pitcher Adam Hill (0-1) gave up one hit and tallied seven strikeouts over a career-high seven innings pitched. But the Gamecocks struggled to take advantage of runners in scoring position and left five runners on base.

“He was terrific,” Holbrook said of Hill. “He located his fast ball really, really well and threw his curve ball. He located that.”

“It’s just one of those games where one mistake is going to cost you and we had a mistake.” 

The Spartans scored their sole run in the third inning after Hill walked second baseman Austin Embler. Embler stole second, advanced to third on a passed ball and reached home on Ben Spitznagel’s groundout to first for an unearned run that put the Spartans ahead 1-0.

“I can’t walk that guy if it’s a tie ball game,” Hill said. “It’s definitely something I’ve got to clean up, but we played well and hit some balls hard.” 

UNCG starting pitcher Matt Frisbee held the Gamecocks hitless until the fourth inning when Danny Blair singled up the middle. The left fielder stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error by UNCG catcher Ryan Clinch, but was left stranded there, as John Jones fouled out to end the inning.

Similar to the fourth inning, the Gamecocks stranded a runner in scoring position in the fifth. Shortstop Madison Stokes singled to right field with no outs and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Three straight flyouts from Matt Williams, Jacob Olson and LT Tolbert followed, wasting another scoring opportunity.

Frisbee, who was a Southern Conference All-Freshman in 2016, limited the Gamecocks to three hits with four strikeouts and one walk over seven innings pitched.

“We squared some balls up we just didn’t have success with it,” Stokes said. “We just didn’t have them fall and that’s fine. We’re just going to learn from that and continue to swing it and barrel balls up and just try to score balls when we have players on base.” 

Senior left-handed pitcher Josh Reagan came in to relieve Hill in the eighth. He threw three strikeouts and one ball over two innings pitched. 

The Gamecocks’ biggest chance to tie the game came in the eighth inning against reliever Andrew Wantz. Tolbert hit a leadoff single to right-center field and was bunted over by third baseman Jonah Bride. In the following at bat, TJ Hopkins drew a walk, putting runners on first and second with one out. Blair, who was USC’s leading hitter over the weekend, was up to bat. But the left fielder hit a double play that ended the inning and the Gamecocks’ hopes for a comeback win.

“Obviously, it’s disappointing. A one run game, couldn’t string together any hits,” Blair said. “When you can’t string together hits and hit with guys in scoring position, it’s going to be tough to win.” 

The Gamecocks (2-1) will try to bounce back by hosting UNC Charlotte at 4 p.m. Tuesday.