Dual-sport athlete Brandon McIlwain announces decision to transfer

Brandon McIlwain's eventful three semesters at South Carolina came to a close Wednesday, as the quarterback and outfielder announced his decision to transfer per his Twitter account. 

The dual-sport athlete made his collegiate baseball debut as a 17-year-old, won and lost a starting SEC quarterback job as a freshman and then looked to assume a more prominent role on the diamond for the Gamecocks as a sophomore. All together his time at the university spanned less than 15 months from when he elected to graduate Council Rock High School in Newton, Pennsylvania a semester early. 

"This is one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, but I know It's right and God has a plan," McIlwain wrote. "Wearing Garnet and Black has been an honor and a privilege for me. I will cherish the time I spent at USC and I thank all the people in Columbia and the Gamecock Nation who have shown me love and support, but at this point it is time to make a change."

McIlwain was expected to compete for a starting role in South Carolina's outfield entering the Spring, joining the team in a full capacity for the first time after being limited by his football obligations during his freshman season. 

"There's a lot that goes into being a college athlete, and being able to really focus and figure out a good schedule in baseball and to help myself find the time that I need to excel in baseball is going to be really good this semester," McIlwain said before the start of the season. 

The emergence of sophomore Danny Blair, sophomore transfer Jacob Olson and highly-touted freshman Carlos Cortes as viable starting options to join lineup stalwarts Alex Destino and TJ Hopkins has resulted in a crowded Gamecocks' outfield. McIlwain has not registered an at-bat this season, but did make an appearance as a pinch runner. 

His departure will leave South Carolina a roster spot short of the 35-player limit. 

South Carolina's depth on the gridiron will also be depleted, as the team currently has just two scholarship quarterbacks on the depth chart, which includes Michael Scarnecchia who missed all of last season recovering from a labrum surgery. 

McIlwain made his first start under center for the Gamecocks against East Carolina on Sep. 17 last season, passing for 195 yards in the air and rushing for a pair of touchdowns in a 20-15 win. 

In his freshman campaign he finished with 600 passing yards, 127 rushing yards and completed 52.5 percent of his passes. When South Carolina's offense stagnated in the middle of the season, he was supplanted by fellow freshman Jake Bentley. 

“Brandon came by today and spoke to me about transferring from the University of South Carolina,” South Carolina head football coach Will Muschamp said . “I support his decision and wish him all the best.” 

Gamecocks' baseball coach Chad Holbrook extended a similar message of support. 

“Brandon has all the skills to be a terrific baseball player. I have no doubt as he devotes more time to the sport, he can do great things," said Holbrook. "We have enjoyed him immensely and we wish him well as his career moves forward.”