Q&A with Columbia Missourian sports reporter Alec Lewis

The Gamecocks’ first SEC opponent on the road comes against Missouri at 7 p.m. on Sept. 9. In the past five meetings between these teams dating back to 2012, USC holds a 3-2 advantage, including a 31-21 victory last season at Williams-Brice Stadium.

The Daily Gamecock sports staff caught up with Columbia Missourian sports reporter Alec Lewis to preview the game.

Q: Like South Carolina head coach Will Muschamp, Barry Odom will be entering his second season with the team. How do you think Missouri will take a step forward this year?

A: "I think Missouri will take a step forward in many respects because it is Barry Odom's second year. Unlike Will Muschamp, Odom had never held the head coaching position in college. He was a defensive coordinator, so leading a team in 2016-17 was a unique experience. Odom shuffled defensive schemes (and coaches) but settled on them towards the end of 2016, so I think another year with the same group will benefit the defense. I also think another year with the fast-paced offense manned by offensive coordinator Josh Heupel will really allow Missouri to take a step forward."

Q: The Missouri defense ranked among the nation’s worst in all four major categories last season. What are the keys to defending Jake Bentley and his arsenal of young offensive weapons?

A: "The keys to defending Jake Bentley and his weapons are to limit them out the perimeter, which will be difficult for Missouri. The Tigers lost their top two cornerbacks to graduation in 2016 -- first team all-SEC corner Aarion Penton and John Gibson -- so the current group is very young. Sophomore corner Demarkus Acy will be critical in limiting Bentley, as will linebacker-safety hybrid and Kansas State transfer Kaleb Prewitt. I also think applying pressure on Bentley will be critical, and Missouri's new-look defensive line under first-year defensive line coach Brick Haley will be important. Senior defensive end Marcell Frazier and junior defensive tackle Terry Beckner Jr. (who is coming off of two ACL years) will need to probe prove critical in that area."

Q: Conversely, the Missouri offense has a slew of starters returning, including quarterback Drew Lock. What do you expect from him this season? How will he fare against USC's defense?

A: "Not only does the Missouri offensive have a slew of offensive starters returning, but the team has all of their offensive starters returning. Drew Lock will benefit from another year under Heupel, but he'll also benefit from sophomore running back Damarea Crockett. Last year, Crockett ran for the most yards of any Missouri freshman running back in history. His progression, as well as Lock's progression and repore with returning receivers J'Mon Moore, Johnathon Johnson and Dimetrios Mason should allow Missouri to put up a really solid fight against the Gamecocks."

Q: What is your prediction for the game and why?

A: "Missouri has the home field advantage in this one and although I do believe Bentley and Deebo Samuel will exploit the Missouri secondary, I also think Lock and Crockett will prove too much. I think the Tigers are going to knock off South Carolina in a really high-scoring affair. I'll predict it, 35-31."

Follow Lewis on Twitter @alec_lewis and read his coverage at https://www.columbiamissourian.com/sports/.