Former Gamecocks ready to prove selves in 2018 MLB season

At least six, potentially seven, former Gamecock baseball players will get to continue living their dream of playing in the big leagues in 2018. There is a strong Gamecock presence across the American League, especially in the AL East. This will add some more excitement at the end of the season for Gamecock Major League Baseball fans. 

Jackie Bradley, Jr. (CF) – Boston Red Sox

In 2018, Bradley, Jr. will look to continue his offensive improvements and maintain his high-level defense in center field for a loaded Red Sox team. This will be his third consecutive year starting in center field for Boston since his 2016 breakthrough which was accompanied by an All-Star selection. In 2017, Jackie took a bit of a step back in his counting numbers but was battling lingering knee and thumb injuries throughout the seasons that led to two 10-Day Disabled List stints. He still was able to hit 17 home runs and drive in 63 runs in 133 games. He triple slashed a respectable .245/.323/.402 and scored 58 runs while batting throughout the bottom half of the order.

A 20 home run/20 stolen base 2018 season is completely in reach for Jackie Bradley, Jr. after a full offseason of recovery. He should be able to return to or surpass his 2016 season form. His defense and constantly improving offense will help lead the Red Sox to another playoff berth. There is a lot of anticipation for Jackie and his fellow outfielders to secure wins quite a bit this year. 

Whit Merrifield (2B/OF) – Kansas City Royals

After becoming a Royals fan favorite in 2016, Whit Merrifield followed up with one of the best offensive seasons for an offensively strong Kansas City team in 2017. He had arguably the best 2017 season of the former Gamecocks in the MLB. He led the American League in stolen bases with 34 and hit 19 home runs while primarily playing 2nd base. Merrifield had a strong slash line of .288/.324/.460 and drove in 78 runs batting mainly in the third lineup spot. 

Merrifield is expected to keep improving, and with quality players like Eric Hosmer and Lorenzo Cain leaving the Royals and face of the franchise, Alex Gordon, declining with age, Whit Merrifield is entering his prime and will lead the Royals for years to come.

Justin Smoak (1B) – Toronto Blue Jays

Picked 11th overall by the Texas Rangers in 2008, Justin Smoak was widely regarded as one of the best picks in the draft. It took him until 2017, but he finally showed why he was one of the best players from that draft. After never hitting more than 20 home runs or driving in more than 60 runs in a season, Smoak went off for the Toronto Blue Jays. He led the team with 38 dingers and 90 RBIs. The home run total was fifth best in the league. He was named to his first All-Star game as a starter and went on to play in 158 games of a possible 162.

Now that Smoak has produced at this level, he will be expected to keep it up. This should be no trouble for this 6’ 4’’ switch-hitting, former Gamecock.

Sam Dyson (RP) – San Francisco Giants

After being acquired by the Texas Rangers, and having a huge 2016 season for them, Dyson started 2017 very poorly, after 17 games and a 10.80 earned run average he was designated for assignment. He was eventually traded to his current team, the Giants, for a player to be named later. After closer Mark Melancon went on the DL, Dyson took over and had 14 saves and appeared to be returning to the player that was a shutdown reliever for the Marlins and Rangers up until 2016. 

Initially slated to be “co-closers” with Mark Melancon going into 2018, Sam Dyson will take it over by himself, as Melancon appears to be going on the DL to start the year. It’s an even year for the Giants so Sam could find himself going far in the playoffs later this year.

Jordan Montgomery (SP) – New York Yankees

After a rookie year where he finished sixth in AL Rookie of the Year voting with a 9-7 record and sub-4 ERA, Jordan Montgomery finds himself as the fifth starter on a Yankees team with huge expectations. This young team is looking to return to the stereotypical powerhouse Yankees we are used to and Montgomery, otherwise known as “Gumby”, will be right in the middle. 

Steve Pearce (IF/OF)- Toronto Blue Jays

Journeyman Steve Pearce will serve as one of Justin Smoak’s backups and play wherever else he is needed. He hit 13 home runs in only 92 games last year, playing behind Smoak and serving most of his time in left field.

Christian Walker (IF/OF) – Arizona Diamondbacks 

After playing in a few games in the majors each year since 2014 with the Orioles and Diamondbacks, Christian Walker will aim to stay up with the Diamondbacks this year. He is on the 40-man roster and had a good Spring Training, batting .304 with 3 home runs. He will start his season with Arizona’s AAA affiliate, the Reno Aces. Primarily a first basemen, Walker will probably need to master another position such a third base or a corner outfield spot to make a splash in the bigs since he plays the same position as Diamondback and perennial MVP candidate, Paul Goldschmidt.