Another No. 1: Gamecocks to host top-ranked Vanderbilt in pivotal SEC East series

USC looks to keep mojo going against nationally-heralded clubs

South Carolina's last two meetings with top-ranked opponents have garnered extremely positive results, to say the least. It'll look to improve that number to three this weekend while playing host to No. 1 Vanderbilt.

"'Impressive' is really the way you have to describe this whole Vanderbilt team," coach Ray Tanner said. "I think their pitching staff has gotten a lot of attention — deservedly so for the numbers they've put up — but they're very good offensively as well. Their team batting average is outstanding, especially in the SEC against some outstanding players. They're No. 1 in the country and should be. It'll be a difficult challenge for us."

Although the Gamecocks enter the series recovering from a midweek loss to The Citadel, they come in as winners of seven straight SEC games, despite a recent shortage of run production. USC managed back-to-back sweeps of Kentucky and Tennessee over the past two weeks but never scored more than four runs in any of the six victories. Tanner believes the new BBCOR-standard bats have contributed in some way to the offensive shortage but said it's not something he wants his players to dwell on.

"We talked about it a little bit about how the national team [home run] average is down about 25 points from last year," Tanner said. "I told them that they're still pretty good players and that maybe that's not being reflected like it has been in the past because of the numbers. But it is what it is. You have to understand that, feel good about yourself and be ready to go this weekend."

Continuing to thrive at the plate despite the run shortage has been first baseman Christian Walker. During the sweep of the Vols, the sophomore provided three hits and four RBIs, including a two-run homer in Saturday's 2-0 victory. Slated to face arguably the best pitching staff in the country this weekend, Walker said he's anxious to see how his team fares.

"I'm really excited. The whole team is," Walker said. "Vandy's obviously No. 1 and a great team. I expect nothing less than a great series.

"[Prior experience against No. 1 teams] definitely gives us confidence. We would know anyway that we're a good enough team to win this series. We haven't scored as many runs as we'd want to, but we've been playing well."

Helping to overcome the run shortage has been USC's stellar pitching. Over the last five games, the Gamecocks have allowed a combined five runs, including just one in the series sweep of Tennessee.

Two pitchers who have stood out in recent weeks are right-handers Colby Holmes and Forrest Koumas, particularly with the absence of Steven Neff and Tyler Webb. Holmes — who earned SEC Pitcher of the Week honors for his performance against Tennessee — enters the weekend 3-0 with a 3.00 ERA and 28 strikeouts.

"It was pretty special [winning SEC Pitcher of the Week]," Holmes said. "I've been working hard ever since the beginning of the season. Being out the first week because I was sick put me down a little bit, but I've battled back since then and have been working hard. It's paid off."

Koumas — who was named SEC Co-Freshman of the Week after securing the sweep of Kentucky — made his first collegiate start in game two of the Florida series and hasn't looked back since. In three starts this year, the freshman has notched two wins while allowing just one earned run. He is currently third on the team with 33 strikeouts on the year.

"[Vanderbilt's] got good guys; we've got good guys," Koumas said. "I think it's going to be a great weekend with a lot of good matchups. We've just got to get out there and take it like we've done every other game."

Regardless of the outcome of the series, Tanner said he has no concerns about intimidation affecting his team's mindset going into one of the year's biggest series.

"We don't fear anyone. We respect everyone, but we don't fear anybody," Tanner said. "Our guys think they should win. Are we playing a No. 1? Absolutely, and deservedly so. But that doesn't mean you have to feel like it's an upset if you win a game. That's a good thing for me as a coach that I don't have to convince them that we can do this."