Petigru receives makeover

$3.5 million in bonds pay for rennovations

Renovations on Petigru College, which normally houses the USC Bursar’s Office, will continue throughout the entirety of the school year.

The refurbishments, which started earlier this month, will cost $3.5 million and are being funded by a state Capital Infrastructure Bond, according to Tom Quasney, associate vice president for facilities.

The Bursar’s Office, now temporarily housed at 516/518 Main St. between Blossom and Wheat streets, will return to the Greene Street building when construction finishes in late May or early June, Quasney said in an email response.

Quasney said the project will update several lacking aspects of Petigru, which was built in 1950 to house USC’s Law School. The construction will replace the roof, heating, ventilation and air conditioning and fire alarms; install a fire sprinkler system; replace windows, carpet, lights and paint; and provide the building with an emergency generator, Quasney said.

“The purpose of this work is to replace building systems that have exceeded their life expectancy, including the roof, the HVAC and windows,” USC spokeswoman Margaret Lamb said. “Some minor improvements are being made. These changes will certainly improve the efficiency of the building.”