Steve Spurrier doesn't agree with NCAA decision to suspend Damiere Byrd

Coach says school may appeal ruling

ATHENS, Ga. — South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said Saturday he disagreed with the NCAA's decision to suspend freshman wide receiver Damiere Byrd four games for receiving impermissible benefits and indicated the school will appeal.

"It's what it is," said Spurrier after USC's 45-42 win over Georgia. "We don't agree with it, but we live by what the NCAA tells us."

Spurrier declined to discuss the situation further, saying the NCAA "asked us not to talk about it," but did reiterate Athletics Director Eric Hyman's comments in a release Friday that Byrd didn't know he was committing a violation in the first place.

"The kid did nothing wrong ... he didn't know he was doing anything wrong," Spurrier said.

Byrd's suspension is related to his connections with the Delaware-based Student Athlete Mentoring (SAM) Foundation, which according to a USC release "provides underprivileged, inner-city athletes with help in getting scholarship offers and meeting academic eligibility requirements."

In a release, the NCAA said "Byrd and his family received approximately $2,700 in recruiting inducements and impermissible benefits. These were provided by a University of South Carolina booster during Byrd's recruitment at the institution. The impermissible benefits included lodging, transportation and meals during multiple unofficial visits to the University of South Carolina. It also included several parties at the booster's home and gift cards."

The State newspaper reported Friday that Kevin Lahn, the organization's treasurer, is a USC graduate who has football season tickets and a personal seat license at Williams-Brice Stadium — conditions that define him as a USC booster in the NCAA's eyes and make whatever gifts or funds he gave Byrd impermissible benefits, the paper reported.

Byrd, a New Jersey native, participated in several of the group's activities because of his father's ties to the program. Adrian Byrd is the foundation's vice president and director of the organization's South New Jersey chapter according to its official website.

Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd was suspended for two games by the NCAA last week for his participation with the SAM Foundation. Floyd, who played high school football near Philadelphia, also will have to repay $2,700 in impermissible benefits received.

As a condition of regaining his eligibility, Byrd will have to repay the $2,700. If USC appeals, Byrd will be ineligible until the appeal is held. If no appeal is made or one is denied quickly, Byrd is eligible to return for USC's game against Auburn on Oct. 1.