‘Gridiron Belle’ addresses football fashion

Christie Leigh Mueller offers insight on SEC tailgate culture

SEC football is a culture in itself. Everything from the perfectly crafted outfit, complete with team colors, pearls and a certain class to the seasonlong scouted tailgate spot make Saturdays in the college South an experience unlike any other.

Christie Leigh Mueller, a self-proclaimed Kentucky Belle, has given women a look into the sport behind the black dresses, bows and Southern spirit in her book “Gridiron Belles: A Guide to Saturdays in Dixie.”

“I really stress the game in a way that men and women can speak the same language on Saturdays,” Mueller said. “I equate the game to getting ready and how many outfits you try on.”

The book, which breaks down the logistics of the sport, while offering tailgating and etiquette tips for gameday, started as a birthday present for one of Mueller’s friends in college.

Both girls were students at Rhodes College in Memphis, Tenn., when the author’s friend was hoping to win over her football-loving crush. Mueller, having grown up a dedicated fan of her high school team, outlined all the ins and outs of the sport in a handmade, pink- and pearl-clad flipbook.

“I didn’t realize all Southern belles didn’t know football like I did,” Mueller said.

After she graduated, Mueller traveled to all the schools in the SEC, attending tailgates and games to perfect her guide to the game and region’s fan culture.

“It takes people out of reality one day a week,” Mueller said. “It was a make-believe world I was happy to be a part of.”

And after attending the 12 SEC universities, she said the towns and their Saturday fan lives were all equally memorable.

“I’ve never had a bad experience at an SEC school,” Mueller said. “I equate it to having a favorite child. Even if you have one, you never admit it. There’s something special about each one.”

Although Mueller didn’t attend an SEC school, she grew up an Auburn fan and started shaping her football etiquette following the hometown high school team. She remembered saving all of her birthday money to buy the perfect green and gold (the high school team’s colors) outfit for the game, and said that’s where her interest in the fashion behind the field began.

Mueller recommended keeping the comfort factor in mind on gameday, while still adding a dressed-up flair to your look.

“It should be a very put-together comfortable,” Mueller said. “You’re in your outfit all day, from 10 a.m. Bloody Marys to dinner after the game — you have to be comfortable but chic.”

And to all those Southern belles who keep a stack of school color T-shirts on tap, Mueller said to think twice.

“I want to emphasize comfortable doesn’t mean casual,” Mueller said. “No T-shirts and old pairs of jeans.”

Tailgate-hopping and bleacher seats extend the comfort outlook down to footwear as well.

“Heels are fine, but bring another pair of flats in your purse,” Mueller said. “Or wear (the heels) all day, but they’re not a reason to complain to your date or go home early.”

“Gridiron Belles” is not only a guide for those looking to learn more about the game but also for people who “don’t want to be football people” but find themselves stuck at a tailgate or game, Mueller said.

“It’s geared for college students who want to understand the game, and good for girls who don’t want to be ‘football widows,’” Mueller said.

Mueller attended her fifth SEC game of the season Saturday, making the trip to Columbia for the Auburn showdown. She plans to go to seven more schools this season, promoting “Gridiron Belles” along the way.

The book is available on the self-employed etiquette consultant’s website gridironbelles.com.

“My closing note to belles is don’t get upset when your boyfriend wants to watch the game or is upset after the game,” Mueller said. “Give him the night to cool off, and after you read the book, you’ll understand.”