Men's soccer bounces back with 3-1 win over Marshall at Stone Stadium

Gamecocks rally after double overtime loss to SMU

Saturday was a night of redemption for the South Carolina men's soccer team. 

After SMU handed the Gamecocks their first conference loss in double overtime on Wednesday night, USC had to prove it could bounce back against another conference foe in Marshall. Carolina did just that, thumping the Thundering Herd 3-1.

After a fast-paced first half that ended with both teams knotted up at 1, USC exploded into the second half. The Gamecocks scored two goals within two minutes of each other in the 61st and 63rd minutes before holding on for the win.

"This team rebounded tonight, and I had absolutely no question that they would," coach Mark Berson said. "There was not one ounce of doubt in my mind that this team would play extremely well. Marshall was a very good team, and it took a good effort tonight to win the game. I was very pleased with the way we played."

The first of the second half goals came off a Bradlee Baladez corner that was headed in by Braeden Troyer. Two minutes later, Baladez got back in on the action with a goal of his own off a cross from Vance Benson.

"It feels great. We all came out ready to play," Troyer said. "We were making a lot of good passes and had a few good combinations with a good cross in, and that's how it happens."

In the more evenly matched first half, Marshall was the first team to strike with a 20-yard goal off a free kick in the 27th minute by Tom Jackson. Two minutes later the Gamecocks would answer with a goal scored by Kevin Stam off of the first of Baladez's two assists.

"Bradlee has a point in every conference game," Berson said. "It's quite an accomplishment in a tough league. He's playing well in a time that we need him to play well, and we're all pleased with his performance."

The game itself was dominated by a wild offensive shootout by both teams. The squads combined for 30 shots, 12 corner kicks and 10 saves. Not only was the game an offensive show, but it also featured a combined 23 fouls committed by both teams that drew three yellow cards.

"I think our execution could be better," Berson said. "I think we were a little sharper against SMU, but tonight we got the win, and I was really proud of our guys.

The Gamecocks (6-5-1, 4-1-0) now sit atop Conference USA as they head into tonight's home match against N.C. State (6-6-2, 2-3-0 ACC) in a break from conference play.