Students help at-risk kids in after-school program

Group gives aid at after-school program

USC students gathered to make a difference in the lives of local children Wednesday by volunteering at St. Andrews Kids Café.

The after-school program at Columbia’s St. Andrews Baptist Church provides free childcare for at-risk students. Children from H. B. Rhame Elementary School are invited to join the program based on teacher recommendation and whether they are part of the estimated 91 percent of the students who receive free or reduced lunch.

Kayla Alexander, a first-year broadcast journalism student, was one of the Gamecocks who helped children with homework, reading and games.

“I thought it was a good opportunity to help kids in the community any way I could,” Alexander said.

Third-year elementary education student Angel Miller said the community service has a goal to change children’s lives. She serves as the Community Service Intern, focusing on youth development.

“It’s important to empower our youth,” Miller said. “They need someone to care for them and make them feel significant in today’s society.”

Brenda Sheets, director of the St. Andrews Kids Café, said she was glad to have volunteers and that the program is in desperate need of more.

“There is a waiting list for children,” Sheets said. “We cannot accommodate them because I don’t have enough volunteers.”

The volunteer-based program consists of 22 children and an average of 10 volunteers every day who help teach, entertain, cook and generally serve as positive influences in the children’s lives. Harvest Hope Food Bank provides the children with free snacks and dinner while at the program.

“We hope that they’ll be better students and better prepared for school,” Sheets said. “Hungry children don’t do well in school, they don’t concentrate.”

Sheets would also love to have more Kids’ Café after-school programs.

“We hope to have one Kid’s Café program at each eligible school with a faith-based partnership,” Sheets said.

The program operates on an average $1,200 annual budget, but with separate $25,000 grants from the Nord Family Foundation and Wal-Mart, the program has made many improvements and hopes to do more.

“It has been fantastic,” Sheets said.

The grants have helped to provide the children a more enjoyable and educational experience.

“Children are our future,” Miller said. “We definitely need to make sure that we’re reaching out to them in every possible way we can.”

To get involved with St. Andrews Kids Café, call Sheets at 803-772-6666.