Women's soccer to host Texas in NCAA first round

Gamecocks get one more home game

There was plenty of uncertainty about whether South Carolina's women's soccer team would play at Stone Stadium again in 2011 following its Senior Day matchup against Arkansas nearly three weeks ago.

That uncertainty was put to rest with the unveiling of the NCAA Tournament bracket on Monday, in which the No. 22 Gamecocks (15-6-0) are slated to host Texas (11-8-1) in the opening round of the postseason Friday night.

Along with the opportunity to retain home-field advantage at least one more time this year, coach Shelley Smith said she's especially happy for USC's seniors to have one more chance to play at the Graveyard.

"We're very excited. The fact that we have so many seniors, it's so rewarding that we get to play at home again for them," Smith said. "You wonder if this is going to be their last game at home or even their last game [at all], so it's nice to be able to play in front of the home crowd. I know they'll be so excited to play and that it'll mean a lot to them."

Despite claiming the first regular season SEC championship in program history, Carolina enters the week fresh off a 1-0 defeat to Alabama in the first round of the SEC Tournament, its first loss since Sept. 30. The Gamecocks have responded well from losses in 2011, scoring two or more goals in three of the five matches that directly followed, and Smith is confident her team will recover well once again.

"The last time we really had a game like [the loss to Alabama] was Kentucky, and that was eight wins before that. We bounced back to score several goals and continued that run," Smith said. "I think we were at a point where we weren't as focused or emotionally ready for the game against Alabama, and I know going into Friday night's game, especially being at home and being an NCAA match, we'll be ready to play."

Smith said the Gamecocks have put their early exit from the SEC Tournament to good use, using the extra time off to recover physically and mentally prepare for Friday's matchup.

"That was the benefit to not having to play three games in five days," Smith said. "We're that much more healthy and rested. It was something we took advantage of. We've been training well this week in preparation and were able to train knowing we didn't have to be so careful about resting players heading into Friday night's game."

Texas enters the postseason following a fifth-place finish in the Big 12 standings and travels to Columbia for its first-ever meeting with Carolina. Despite the lack of familiarity, however, Smith said the Longhorns bring a style of play similar to many of USC's past opponents and hopes the experiences gained this season will show on Friday.

"I know they play a 4-3-3, they play with a big target forward; we've faced teams like that this year," Smith said. "Between all the games, both conference and nonconference, we've seen several styles and strengths that we've had to defend and counter offensively. I don't think Texas is that different. They're a quality team and very strong across the board, but I think if we play the way we played during SEC play, we should have a very good opportunity to put ourselves in position to win the game."