Columbia Restaurant Week saves diners dollars

Harper’s, Terra among Columbia eateries participating in 10 days of statewide event

Columbia: a hub of fine cuisine, chock-full of menus from the Mediterranean to down-home, Southern cooking, complete with three courses, drizzled glazes and beautiful presentations.

Wait, what?

It’s easy to look past the Vista and downtown Columbia’s host of restaurants, cantinas and bistros, with many of the award-winning, “five star” options falling far outside of any college student’s budget. Some of the most upscale eateries are tucked away across the Gervais Street bridge, while others miss the Five Points bar crawl in the more restaurant-centered Vista.

But, luckily, the third annual South Carolina restaurant week, Jan. 12–22, has hit the city and hopes to bring Columbia’s sit-down dining to the masses.

“Restaurant Week has two goals,” said Tom Sponseller, the president and corporate secretary of South Carolina’s Hospitality Association. “It’s a way for restaurants to thank their regular customers while also attracting people who have never eaten there before.”

The statewide restaurant week, hosted by the Hospitality Association, partners with restaurants in all of South Carolina’s biggest cities — Columbia, Charleston, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach and Greenville — to create discounted menus and entrée deals for the 10-day event.

In the week’s first year, Columbia only had about 15 participating restaurants, but in its three years has grown to 48 locations citywide, Sponseller said. Terra, Wild Wing Cafe, Liberty Tap Room and Harper’s are among the restaurants that have participated in Restaurant Week all three years. And this year is no exception, with each location offering its signature eats — some packaged in multiple-course meals — for a fraction of the cost.

Harper’s in Five Points is offering Restaurant Week diners a three-course meal with an appetizer, an entrée and dessert. Choices include a butternut squash soup, hickory-grilled salmon and a caramel apple cheesecake.

The stand-alone three-course meal is a 10-day steal at just $16, with the option to include a wine or beer choice with each course for a total of $24.

“We’re hoping to bring in new people who don’t come into Harper’s and get the name into the people in the city’s heads — even if they don’t come eat,” said Chris Blau, Harper’s bar manager.

West Columbia’s Terra is an upscale spot known for its view of the city and wood oven fit for the perfect pizzas. The restaurant is offering three courses for $30, offering a selection that includes a barbecue lamb shoulder, stuffed macaroni and cheese gratin, grilled veal hanger steak and pistachio creme brulee. And if Restaurant Week’s deal still sits a bit out of range, Terra also hosts Pizza & Pinot Night every Wednesday, with a $12 pizza and a glass of wine.

As well as bringing Columbia’s most delectable dining down to a more reasonable dollar, Restaurant Week also adds a little spark to a slow month in the restaurant industry. January is widely known and is acknowledged by Harper’s Blau as the slowest and least profitable month.

“Everyone’s paying their Christmas bills,” Sponseller said. “And there are no big holidays in January — no special occasions for anyone to go out.”

Restaurant Week raises January’s revenue by 20 to 30 percent for many of the participating locations, as much as tripling business for some spots, Sponseller said.

South Carolina’s event is the third-largest statewide “week” of its kind, extending across five cities, whereas many other states centralize promotions to one city. And the 10 days of dining discounts is marketed in Charlotte, N.C.; Atlanta and Asheville, N.C., bringing in out-of-staters to share in South Carolina’s cuisine — though most of the out-of-state visitors flock to Charleston, Sponseller said.

Restaurant Week runs through Jan. 22. Reservations are encouraged at all participating restaurants.