USC plans ‘first-class’ softball stadium

$8 million project to finish in time for 2013 season, officials say

Brunelli's presentation also said the new stadium will be top-loading and amenities will include "restrooms, a press box, concession facilities, lighting, backstop netting, dugouts, batting cage facility and team locker rooms." The facilities will seat 1,350 fans, 650 more people than the current stadium's capacity of 700.

"There is not a single part of the stadium that won't benefit our program," head coach Beverly Smith said. "The programming space for the player development is critical, and it will be first class. The new stadium will provide our fans the necessities for a perfect game day experience."

The stadium will help USC adhere to Title IX, a law that mandates equality for males and females in all federally funded educational programs. According to Brunelli, the softball facilities the women's team currently uses prohibit USC from hosting NCAA regional games. This limitation contrasts with the baseball stadium, which was unveiled in 2009, cost USC $35.6 million and has the capacity to hold over 8,000 fans.

"Softball, as all other sports at South Carolina, is expected to be competitive within the conference and at the national level," Brunelli said. "The program should strive to be frequent participants in NCAA championship play. Having a facility equal to the peer competitors is a major attribute, not only for practice and competition, but for recruiting highly skilled student-athletes. This has been proven in the South Carolina baseball program."

Construction for the stadium will begin at the conclusion of this year's season around the end of May, and the new facilities should be ready for the 2013 season, Smith said. In case the construction runs over, Smith said she scheduled away games for a few weeks at the start of the 2013 season as a buffer.

"This project is essential for the growth and well-being of the Carolina softball program," she said. "This will be a dream come true for all Gamecock softball alumnae, current players and for all those players who will follow in the future."