Panel discusses eating disorders

USC students share stories of anorexia and bulimia as part of Carolina Beautiful week

Four courageous students shared their battles with eating disorders to help other students also find strength at the Russell House Thursday.

Anorexia nervosa and bulimia affect many students at Carolina, according to USC Nutritionist Deb Zippel.

“My brain wasn’t functioning, but I didn’t care about my grades slipping,” said Nilini, one of the speakers. “I only cared about being skinnier even though I was already a size 0.”

All of the students who shared their stories resonated that the eating disorder was the only thing they could control in their lives, yet, ironically, their lives were spiraling out of control.

“I would run around to random stores to purge, turn up the music in my room and purge in the trash can or shower,” Nilini said. “If someone would barely brush my nose it would bleed, and my front tooth began to erode away. That really scared me.”

Zippel said many students are not always conscious of things they say around friends who may suffer from an eating disorder, which can trigger a snowball effect.

“I worked at Chick-fil-a and they would always call me Anna-rexic because they thought it was cute and they had no idea,” said Anna, another speaker.

Although, anorexia and bulimia become an obsession, the students said recovery is possible and people can get better.

“It isn’t something that happens overnight, but if you are willing to put in the work you will see results. It is an uphill battle, but it is worth it in the end,” said Sara, a speaker. “I started seeing Deb and a therapist, and it has helped tremendously ... I have friends for support who I can call and ask, ‘Should I eat the burger or not eat the burger?’”

Nilini said getting away from triggers is also helpful.

“I go call my friends, read a book, listen to music, take a walk if you are feeling too full,” Nilini said.

There are two nutritionists on campus, and sessions are offered for free to students, according to Zippel.

Editor’s note: Only first names were used in this story to protect the speakers’ identities.