iPad rentals in high demand by students, faculty

SG-sponsored program sees extreme popularity since January launch

Much like their Apple Store counterparts, the iPads available for rent in the Thomas Cooper Library's Technology Lounge have been hard to keep on shelves. Since Jan. 17, the Student Government-sponsored, $10,000 iPad rental program has made 20 of the devices available for rental by students and faculty and none have remained in possession of the Technology Lounge for more than an hour at a time.

According to Technology Lounge Manager Lance Dupre, the 20 iPads have been rented 402 times since Jan. 17. Since the program's launch, 450 students and faculty have been turned away due to a lack of availability, with an average of 65 people turned away per week.

"I feel that it's going great," Dupre said. "It's very popular. Only three were available over spring break."

The tablet program allows students to rent an iPad for three days, and faculty to rent for five days. Students and faculty may renew the tablet for three more days before returning them.

Third-year English student Austin Blaze serves as a Technology Lounge employee and has witnessed the iPads' high demand firsthand.

"They're constantly being checked out," Blaze said. "We rarely have more than a handful at any given time."

To avoid privacy issues, once each iPad is returned it is synced on one computer and all applications are erased. Blaze suggests that students check for available iPads around mid-morning on Mondays, when most are returned and synced.

There have been many requests for a waiting list, but Dupre and SG are seeking other ways to help ensure fairness for the rented tablets.

"We've spoken with other universities and found that the waiting list doesn't really work," Dupre said.

Availability for iPads can now be viewed on the main floor of the library on the same screen that shows computer availability. Availability can also be checked on www.library.sc.edu.

"It's been almost two months since the launch of the iPad Checkout Program, and the phenomenal success of the program is still going strong," SG Secretary of Academics and second-year chemistry student Jessica Kaczmarek said.

According to Dupre, purchasing more iPads is possible during the upcoming fall semester. SG plans to provide more e-textbooks for the tablets in the future of the program.

"The program has a lot of room for expansion and future developments, two of which could be potentially getting more iPads to meet the demand, and working to get e-textbooks available on them for students to use for their classes," Kaczmarek said. "It would represent an enormous academic asset for students."

Dupre is currently collecting usage statistics from the iPads, including frequently used applications and what purpose they serve for the users. Facebook, iTunes U and Blackboard Mobile are the most popular applications. The data will help determine how the tablets are being used to provide better applications and service.
Dupre has also included a survey on the iPad, allowing the user to evaluate their experience. He is most concerned with providing more iPads and making the university aware of when they are available.

The iPads are currently being updated to Apple's 5.1 operating system. The new system includes updates for iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote and security.

"It's definitely a learning process," Dupre said. "We've learned what students want, which helps us to make it better for them."