Online programs get high rankings

Virtual graduate school fifth in nation

Two USC online graduate programs are recognized in the 2013 U.S. News & World Report’s Best Online Education Programs list, which was released earlier this week.

The university is ranked No. 5 in the nation among the top online master’s in education degree programs and No. 28 among online master’s in engineering degree programs.

The list rates programs based on faculty credentials and training, student services and technology, student engagement and admissions selectivity.

The USC College of Education founded its online degree program in 2005, with a current enrollment of 391 students. The online program offers a total of four master’s of education degrees: educational administration, teaching, educational technology and higher education business administration. The college was rated highly in the student engagement and admissions selectivity components.

College of Education Dean Lemuel Watson said in a release that he is excited about the faculty’s willingness to put in extra efforts toward the program’s success.

“Our faculty recognize that to be a 21st century College of Education that serves and prepares professional educators, leaders and scholars, we must be innovative and creative in designing and offering online courses and programs that are relevant to the needs of the field,” Watson said.

The USC College of Engineering and Computing began offering its online graduate degree program in 2001. It offers a doctoral degree, a master of science and a master of engineering degree.

St. John’s University topped the list of best online graduate education programs, and the University of Southern California took top honors among online graduate engineering programs.

U.S. News surveyed nearly 860 programs this year to compile its rankings.