In Brief: March 28, 2013

Woman arrested in stabbing of boyfriend

A Greenwood woman has been arrested on charges of stabbing her boyfriend, WYFF reports. Police say they found the man with defensive wounds and his prosthetic leg tossed into the couple’s front yard.
The woman pulled the leg off her boyfriend and tossed it and a spare leg into the yard to prevent him from chasing her, according to the Associated Press.
Michelle Thomas called the police shortly after 11 p.m. Monday and told them that she stabbed her boyfriend because she was trying to hit her, authorities say. She told police she got a knife from the kitchen and threatened to stab him if he did not stop hitting her.
She said that he did not stop, so she swung the knife at him and cut his hands. Police also saw stab wounds on the boyfriend’s legs; Thomas said that she didn’t realize she had stabbed him anywhere.
Thomas has been charged with aggravated domestic violence and her boyfriend has not been charged.

— Compiled by Amanda Coyne, Assistant News Editor

Trial to begin in Irmo double murder case

Brett Parker faces trial on two murder charges May 6 for the alleged killing of his wife and a friend in his home in Irmo last April, according to the Fifth Circuit Solicitor’s Office.
According to reports, he shot Tammy Parker, 44, and Bryan Capnerhurst, 46, in the Ascot Estates neighborhood April 13, 2012.
Parker is also charged with being party to a federal crime, illegal gambling, as he has admitted to being a bookie, The State reports.
According to Parker, Capnerhurst came to his home before noon April 13 to settle a bet. Capnerhurst had a gun, which he pointed at Parker, who was able to acquire a gun from the top of a safe to fire on Capnerhurst. Both guns belonged to Parker.
The shooting led to the discovery of a gambling ring, which led to three other convictions as well as arresting 17 others who took part in the ring’s activity.

— Compiled by Andersen Cook, Copy Desk Chief

Former officer charged with destroying evidence

A former Simpsonville and Mauldin police officer has been accused of destroying evidence in a nearly 30-year-old cold case, The State reports.
George Ralph Bobo, 53, has been charged with obstruction of justice and misconduct in office and was arrested Tuesday. He has been accused of throwing away evidence from the homicide investigation of Cassandra Johnson, who was killed in 1984.
Two years ago the Simpsonville Police Department asked the Solicitor’s Office to investigate the case. Johnson was brutally killed near a Simpsonville dirt road. While the case was being investigated, authorities discovered some physical evidence had been destroyed.
Walt Wilkins, a 13th Circuit Solicitor, said the destruction of that evidence could impede the case’s progress. He told The State that continuing the case and pursuing defendants could prove “extremely difficult.”
Bobo worked for the Simpsonville Police Department for 12 years and could face 20 years in prison.