Retail students assist Trina Turk fashion show

Photo courtesy of Jonathan Sharpe Photography

Volunteers have hand in Girls Night Out event at Edventure

Last year for the 10th annual Girls Night Out event, EdVenture hosted “Prince of Color” Chris Benz, a contemporary womens wear designer based out of New York, as its headliner. This year, it was the “Queen of Prints” herself, Trina Turk.
Last Thursday, EdVenture Children’s Museum and Coplon’s put on their signature fundraiser, Girls Night Out. The event featured a short dance performance by the Unbound Dance Company, music by disc jockey Chris Wenner and even a pop-up shop of Turk’s wares after a fashion show featuring her designs.
“You really couldn’t ask for anything more than being a part of this,” said third-year fashion merchandising student Jessica Argoe, who is also a fashion designer herself. “I totally aspire to do anything close to what she’s doing.”
Turk creates clothes both inspired by and representative of a Californian lifestyle, as evident in Katy Perry’s “California Girls,” a song included in the show’s soundtrack. Known for her eye-popping, colorful prints, the designer sent down her spring and summer collections of easy, wearable pieces that, while simple in shape, come in fantastical hot pink, baby blue and tangerine prints. The vibrancy of print is tamed by the subtle silhouettes, creating a perfect balance.
As the collection progressed, a handful of looks came out void of print: the Trophie style dress with its peplum and the Bennie short with its refined basket weave fabric, both tipping the focus from print but keeping the balance.
The show ended with a bit of glitz by way of delicate beading, giving some of the dresses a shimmering, ombre effect.
“I love Trina Turk,” second-year fashion merchandising student Ellie Bode said. “These are some of my favorite designs.”
Bode was one of four students working backstage with the models, organizing looks for the show.
Many of the volunteers, predominantly from USC’s College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management, were familiar with the designer and remarked that the event was a milestone.
“It’s really exciting,” said fourth-year fashion merchandising student Laura Dixon, one of the models for the event. “I volunteered last year, and it’s a really great event and it’s huge for Columbia.”
For some, the event also served as a career eye-opener.
“I either want to be a buyer or I want to go into menswear,” first-year fashion merchandising student Raley Castro said. “I never thought I’d have an opportunity like this as a college student, and it really opens my eyes to everything that is available.”
Turk’s designs have been featured in magazines worldwide including Glamour, Vogue, InStyle, Lucky, Cosmopolitan and Marie Claire. Locally, Turk’s collections are stocked in Coplon’s clothing store on Forest Drive.