‘Bankrupt!’ rings back to band’s glory days

<p>French band Phoenix released its latest album, “Bankrupt!,” after a set on <span class="caps">SNL</span>.</p>
French band Phoenix released its latest album, “Bankrupt!,” after a set on SNL.

When seniors were shipping off to college four years ago, this cool band called Phoenix was rocking our ears with tracks like “1901” and “Lisztomania.”

Now, as we’re about to graduate, the French alt-rock quartet has released its latest disc, “Bankrupt!” The group gave its all during a recent musical guest spot on “Saturday Night Live,” and it delivers in a big way on the new album.

“Bankrupt!” kicks off with “Entertainment,” the album’s current alternative radio hit.

“The Real Thing” is soft and groovy, reminiscent of ’80s New Wave with an equally retro touch of melodrama.

“S.O.S. in Bel Air” is a club-ready jam. “And you can’t cross the line, but you can’t stop trying” is the catchiest hook you’ll have heard in a while. The song’s theme is very vague — What does “Put your name on my list / S.O.S in Bel Air” actually mean? — but it’s easy to dance to.

“Trying to Be Cool” is the quintessential hipster anthem. As frontman Thomas Mars subtly croons, “Tell me that you want me,” he oozes more of a “whatever” mentality than an actual desire for admiration. Who knew it was possible to be egotistical and nonchalant at the same time?

“Bankrupt!” falls in the middle of the album, and it’s one track you won’t mind skipping. It’s primarily instrumental and, at nearly seven minutes long, sounds like the trippiest video game theme you’ve ever heard. The lyrics kick in around 4:30 with the addition of an acoustic guitar, but the track is more of a philosophical jam session than a slick, radio-ready cut.

“Chloroform” is creepy and oddly sensual at the same time. The mellow breakdowns are as a sexy as some of Justin Timberlake’s latest work, and that flute (at least that’s what it sounds like) adds a touch of eeriness to the piece.

Songs like “Don’t” and “Bourgeois” remind fans why they loved Phoenix in the first place. With synths and drums so sweet and constant that they make you bop up and down in your seat, it’s music that makes you want to move and smile wider than you thought possible. The slower moments capture your spirit and float through your veins.

Closing track “Oblique City” is pure fun. Mars does vocal gymnastics with his falsetto and his merry band of musicians takes us on a journey filled with enough synths to take you back in time.

“Bankrupt!” will be the kind of album you’ll blast at your house parties or in the car on the way back from an unforgettable music festival. It’s a reminder of the good times and good people in your life. Phoenix doesn’t make the kind of music you’d want to listen to alone in your room. These tunes are all about spreading love and feeling electric.

Maybe it’s because they’re from overseas or because the instruments far outnumber the vocalists, but it’s very difficult to make out the lyrics in several instances. The hypnotic techo beats make up for the sub-par diction. It’s kind of fun to make up your own interpretation of the words anyway.

For example, I think Mars sang something about Jenga in “Drakkar Noir,” or maybe the word was “jungle.” You can never quite tell.

Either way, I’m still dancing.