Crime Blotter: March 22 - March 30

The blotter comes from police reports released by the USC Division of Law Enforcement and Safety and doesn’t include crimes reported by city or county law enforcement.

— An officer heard several people “yelling obscenities” and “being loud and boisterous” while he was on patrol in Bull Street Garage just after midnight on March 22. Upon exiting the garage, he saw six to seven students “smoking, being loud … and shouting vulgar comments at traffic outside of South Tower.” They proceeded to give the middle finger and shout “f—- you” to passing cars. When the officer reached South Tower, all but one of the students had fled. The student would not tell the officer where the others had gone and told the officer he did not know it was illegal to shout obscenities at people who were not police officers. The student then became unresponsive to the officer’s questions and was arrested for disorderly conduct.

— An officer was dispatched to Bates West early Tuesday morning when a resident refused to pay his cab fare. The officer and the cab driver went to the student’s room, where they could see empty alcohol bottles in plain view and that the student smelled of alcohol and had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech. After the student paid his cab fare, the officer and an RM told the student that they were going into his room to “take care of the alcohol containers.” The student told them that he did not want them to go into his room and that he would rather go to jail. He turned around and put his hands behind his back, motioning for the officer to handcuff him. The officer obliged and arrested him for possessing alcohol underage.

Bates House Crime of the Week: Officers were called to Bates House early on the morning of March 27 regarding a drunk, naked resident who was vomiting. When police arrived, the resident was laying naked on the floor. The officers dressed him and had him evaluated by an emergency medical technician. He was instructed to find someone to stay with for the night, but resumed vomiting while making the calls. After he refused to go to the hospital, he was arrested for possessing alcohol underage and having a fake ID, which was found in a search.

— Compiled by Amanda Coyne, Assistant News Editor