Coaches receive contract extensions

Incentives include bonuses for titles

Three USC head coaches’ four-year contract extensions were approved by the board of trustees Monday, allowing the university to retain athletics staff that has brought conference and NCAA honors to Columbia.

Curtis Frye, who coaches the men’s and women’s track and field team, will earn a salary of $191,400 each year until 2017 along with $50,000 in payments from outside rights holders. Under his incentives package, athletics would give him a $19,140 bonus for winning the SEC East, $47,850 for an SEC championship and $66,990 for an NCAA championship. He will also be allowed the use of two cars.

Coach of the SEC champion equestrian team, Boo Major will receive a salary of $93,600 for the next four years. Under her new salary, she would have gotten a bonus of $4,680 for winning the SEC championship. If she brings her team to a national title, she will receive a bonus of $14,040 . She will have the use of one car under her new contract.

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving coach McGee Moody will be paid $108,500 under his four-year contract. His bonus for winning the SEC East would be $10,850 and $27,125 for the SEC championship.

If Moody coaches his team to the NCAA championship, his reward will be a $37,975. He will also be given the use of one car.

Frye has coached at USC for 17 years and has brought 60 student athletes to NCAA titles and 115 to SEC titles. He has coached more than 435 All-Americans and a Paralympic silver medalist, Jerome Singleton, Jr., who won his medal in the 100 meter dash in the 2008 Beijing games.

Major coached USC’s equestrian team to the inaugural SEC championship title in her 16th year at the helm. Since 2005, when the varsity format was adopted in collegiate equestrian competition, Major has had 50 overall victories and 17 at the Varsity Equestrian National Championships.

Moody has been at USC for only six years, but has already helped bring a Gamecock swimmer, Michael Flach, to the U.S. Olympic Trials. This summer, he will coach at the World University Games in Russia, as will head basketball coach Frank Martin.