Center position still uncertain for offense

Spurrier looking for Shaw to throw it down the field more

South Carolina running backs coach Everette Sands mentioned a key statistic after Wednesday’s practice: Central Florida’s defense has allowed just a 33-percent conversion rate on third down this season.

In the past two games alone, the Knights’ opponents have converted 5 third downs on 23 attempts. Holding Penn State to just 2-of-8 on third downs was a big reason for UCF’s upset win against the Nittany Lions two weeks ago.

Sands said it is very important for the Gamecocks to do well on third down, and they must pick up solid yards on first and second downs. He said that second-and-six situations are a lot better than second-and-10 situations.

Sands added that one thing he’s noticed on film is Central Florida’s variety of blitz packages. Sophomore running backs Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds have been working on recognizing these blitzes to help out in pass protection.

“Their defense is sound; they disguise their coverages well,” head coach Steve Spurrier said. “They try not to give up any big plays, like all defenses do, and play with super effort. Their kids are flying around and very seldom out of position.”

Spurrier said he would like to see senior quarterback Connor Shaw take more shots downfield. The UCF secondary starts a number of juniors, with Brandon Alexander and Jordan Ozerities at the cornerback positions and Alexander and Clayton Geathers at the safety spots.

Even with the Knights’ experience in the defensive backfield, South Carolina hopes to convert on some deep plays.

Shaw said he will take what the defense gives him and not force anything. He acknowledged that it is good to take shots in the game to get a big play and spread the defense out, but his focus is to just keep playing smart.

Shaw has been efficient so far, throwing for 661 yards with six touchdowns and no interceptions. His only turnover came against Georgia, when he fumbled in the third quarter while scrambling.

“I do feel like I am playing well, probably better than I have been playing in the past,” Shaw said at a press conference Tuesday. “Last year, I was playing through a cracked shoulder in my throwing arm and a bummed left foot. They are just things you take for granted when you’re healthy. But hey, I am just enjoying playing football right now.”

Shaw did leave practice early with back spasms on Wednesday but is still expected to start.

UCF’s starting linebacker core was also made up of all juniors until the Knights suspended Willie Mitchell after a drunken driving arrest. Taking his place is true freshman Chequan Burkett, who will join other linebackers Troy Gray and Terrance Plummer.

There is a chance that the Knights start out in a 4-2-5 set against the Gamecocks. If that happens, senior Sean Maag will come in as the starting nickelback.

Wide receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. said the Knights’ defense is fundamentally sound and that his receivers will have to work hard to get open.

“They do play off a little more than true bump and run, but they play a little bit of everything,” Spurrier Jr. said. “They zone blitz, they play some different in-and-out coverages, they play some man, so we’re expecting a pretty good mix.”

Spurrier Jr. mentioned that the progress of some of his receivers, including sophomore Shaq Roland and junior Nick Jones, is something he is happy about. He said Roland is playing faster and more confidently.

“He still has a couple things that got on me the first couple weeks,” Spurrier Jr. said. “But he’s certainly a talented man who has a lot of potential, so I’m excited about him.”

On the injury report, redshirt freshman center Cody Waldrop practiced Wednesday after missing the past two games with a foot injury, but it is still uncertain whether he will play on Saturday.

His backup, redshirt freshman Clayton Stadnik, has done well filling in. Stadnik was named SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week two weeks ago for his performance against Vanderbilt.

Offensive line coach Shawn Elliott said he does not know who will start, but that it is good to have two centers coaches are comfortable going to.

Sands said the mindset for USC is that it could easily be a “knock-down, drag-out game” against Central Florida. Shaw added that he expects UCF to come out pumped up and confident after beating Penn State.

“They have a lot to be excited about,” Shaw said. “I think they are undefeated for the first time in a while, so I think they have every reason to be excited, and having us come down there to play is going to be a big game, and we are looking forward to it.”