Trustees vote on new campus art policy

A campus art policy, including an advisory board for all outdoor installations and murals, was approved by the board of trustees’ buildings and grounds committee Friday.

The policy was first proposed after the university began fundraising efforts for a bronze statue of Cocky to be placed on Gibbes Green. A “life-size or larger than life-size” statue of Chinese philosopher Confucius was also proposed for the space.

The policy as proposed by Derek Gruner, director of facilities planning and programming, would only cover sculptures and murals.

University President Harris Pastides proposed adding a broader definition of outdoor art that would include “any permanent hardscape.”

“It may not be thought of as sculpture — we have the ODK sundial garden; we could have a fountain proposal … We need to be comprehensive,” Pastides said. “It could be any permanent feature that may not fall under our immediate definition of art.”

Any proposed mural or outdoor art installation would have to be approved first by a campus art advisory committee, consisting of staff and students. Gruner suggested including a representative from Student Government as well as the university architect, archivist and a member of the landscaping staff.

“They would be mainly considering the aesthetic impact and appropriateness of the theme of the sculpture,” Gruner said.

If approved, the proposal would then go to the Department of Facilities’ design review committee.

“They would consider if there would be any hardscapes, landscaping, walks leading up to it, as well as just the location,” Gruner said.

The proposal would then be considered by Chief Financial Officer Ed Walton, Provost Michael Amiridis, or someone he designates, and Pastides. They would consider if the piece was consistent with the university’s values before sending it to the buildings and grounds committee, which would give the final approval.

Once the proposal is approved by that committee, it would be sent back to the design review committee. They would then consider the logistics of the mural or installation’s placement on campus.