Initiatives introduced as senate legislation

Rate My Landlord, Carolina Closet to be voted on next week

Resolutions concerning Carolina Closet and Rate My Landlord were introduced at Wednesday’s student senate meeting. A resolution was also introduced to explore new options for student parking.
Carolina Closet, which would be operated in conjunction with business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi, is designed to be a resource for low-income students to borrow professional attire free of cost for interviews and job opportunities. Rate My Landlord would serve as a database of reviews of management for popular off-campus apartment complexes and landlords in popular neighborhoods.

Student senators who live off-campus took preliminary surveys about their housing situations after their meeting. These surveys will undergo further tweaking if the resolution is passed, and President Pro Tempore Lindsay Richardson said her goal is to get “at least 500 people” to take the first round of initial surveys in order to ensure a strong sample size. The survey would be released in November, Richardson said.

Student Government is currently exploring options for space to house Carolina Closet, Richardson said. They are also looking to partner with local businesses who could donate business clothes.

Student senate also hopes to explore what could be done to fix the persistent problem of insufficient parking spaces, Richardson said.

They will be working with Parking Services and Delta Sigma Pi, another business fraternity. The resolution put forth a “research initiative” that could lead to further action in the future.

Open positions

Two weeks after filling the student senate, three seats are empty.

Sen. Jules Greer, a fourth-year public health student, resigned Wednesday night after two other senators resigned before last week’s senate meeting. Greer said her obligations as a senior didn’t allow her to give herself fully to the position and reluctantly stepped down.

Greer was elected to her first and only senate term in a runoff after being written in during the March senate elections.

“Sen. Greer was a great member of our family, and we are sad to see her go,” said Student Body Vice President Ryan Bailey.

Greer’s seat in the Arnold School of Public Health’s delegation is now open, along with one each in the delegations from the College of Education and the College of Engineering and Computing.

Two seats on the Constitutional Council are also vacant due to two justices’ graduation this past May. Associate Justice Emory Roberts said Student Body President Chase Mizzell is in the process of formulating an application for the position. Justices serve from their date of appointment until their graduation.

Allocations and codes

Senate Finance Committee Chair Ashley Farr introduced a revised version of her committee’s overhaul of SG’s finance codes Wednesday night, saying minimal changes had been made.

The codes, if passed, will go into effect at the beginning of the 2014-2015 school year and fiscal year, in order to create the least difficulty for new senators’ next term.

The finance committee is also in the throes of student organization allocations, with more than 130 organizations requesting a total of more than $320,000. Senate only has about $180,000 to give.

“It will be a challenge to get it done, but we can do it,” Farr said.

RHA legislation

The Residence Hall Association passed a resolution to encourage Carolina Dining to “pursue healthy late-night options, especially for north campus,” according to RHA President Phillip Allan.

While late-night options are open in Russell House and West Quad, Allan said many Columbia Hall and Capstone House residents complain of a lack of nearby food options when studying late at night. A Capstone House senator introduced the legislation to RHA.