Classics professor 'surprised' with $10,000 grant

Gardner will use award to attend academic conference in Scotland

Hunter H. Gardner was surprised when College of Arts and Sciences Dean Mary Anne Fitzpatrick told her she would be a recipient of the McCausland Fellowship, a grant coming from a $10 million endowment from USC graduate Peter McCausland.

“It’s not every day you get a surprise like that,” Gardner said.

Gardner is an associate professor in the Department of Literatures, Languages and Cultures at USC.
Gardner, along with three other professors in the College of Arts and Sciences, was selected to receive a $10,000 stipend to aid with teaching, research and studies.

The fellowship was a gift from Peter McCausland and his wife. McCausland graduated from USC in 1971 with a degree in history. Now, he is chairman and CEO of Pennsylvania-based Airgas Inc.

Gardner received her doctorate degree in classics from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill and now teaches classes in Latin, Greek and classics, which are programs that have dwindled in enrollment in recent years.

“I was very thrilled and surprised,” Gardner said, “It seems like many universities are trimming down their classics department.”

Gardner received her master’s in Latin from the University of Georgia and her bachelor’s degree in classical civilization from UNC-Chapel Hill.

Her interests vary from Latin (Augustan and imperial literature) to the Greek epic poet Homer to women in antiquity and classics. She is also interested in classics in cinema and popular culture.

Gardner is using her fellowship to go to Scotland this summer to attend a conference that will discus the violence in relation to the movie “Spartacus.”

She is a part of Eta Sigma Phi at USC, which is an organization that tries to make the student body more aware of the study of classics.

Gardner has published two books. “Gendering Time in Augustan Love Elegy” is a series on classical literature and gender theory. Her second book, “Odyssean Identities in Modern Cultures” is a collection of essays.

Another major project Gardner was involved in was the making of a documentary called “Soldier Girl: South Carolina’s Female Veterans” which focused on the homecoming of many female soldiers returning from combat.

Gardner has traveled many places to study and do research, but her favorite place is Italy. She has been there a few times to study classics and Roman history and to explore and learn. While in Italy, she spent time studying images of gladiators and Roman classics.

Gardner began teaching at USC in 2007 after teaching at the College of Charleston, UNC Chapel Hill and the University of Georgia.

Gardner has received many other awards and honors, including the South Carolina Humanities Council Grant, the Promising Investigator Research Award and the Magellan Grant.