Bookstore expects huge sales on second day of classes

<p>The book store gives more than $1.8 million of its profits from sales on everything from textbooks to gameday gear back to the school in the form of scholarships.</p>
The book store gives more than $1.8 million of its profits from sales on everything from textbooks to gameday gear back to the school in the form of scholarships.

The Russell House Bookstore is a campus staple, where students can get a latte, find books for Geology 101 and drop $399 on a pair of Gamecock cowboy boots all in one trip.

But unbeknownst to many bookstore customers, a portion of the money spent on books, game day gear and cups of coffee benefits the university, according to bookstore general manager Brian Griffin.

Each year the bookstore gives back over $1.8 million in scholarships to the school.

“Many students do not realize that our income is fed back to the school in the form of scholarships,” said Griffin.

Griffin said the heaviest sales day is on the second day of classes, and the most popular brand in the bookstore is Under Armour, which sponsors USC athletics. Hooded sweatshirts and hats have proven themselves to be popular. The most crowded days at the bookstore are the second day of classes and parents weekend.

Customers are given opportunities to save on those sweatshirts, hats and other Gamecock apparel with bookstore sales based on athletic success.

During football season, the “Monday Morning Money Back” special provides a discount between 10 and 25 percent on clothing items following Gamecock wins.

According to Griffin, sales are promoted throughout the store, as well as via email and the bookstore’s Facebook page, which has over 4,700 likes.

To keep up with the fluctuating sales, the bookstore employs several people over the course of the school year, including students.

”During our peak times, we employee over 200 people,” Griffin said. “During our quieter times, we usually have around 50-60 employed.”

When first-year business administration student Quandreya Williams works at the Russell House bookstore, she makes the customer her top priority.

“Overall, we have fun, and we work hard to ensure the best customer service we can provide to everyone,” Williams said.