New Moore School building could already face capacity issues

The business school may already be outgrowing its new, $106.5 million space, even before it moves in at the end of the semester.

John McDermott, the school’s interim dean, told trustees last month that the school enrolls more students than the new building was designed for, meaning some classes may need to be taught in other buildings, and the school might need to get creative with its scheduling.

University spokesman Wes Hickman said the business school had grown faster than officials expected when they began planning the new building a few years ago. Pastides said he expects the business school won’t have too little space; instead, he thinks other schools won’t be able to share the new building, as they do now.

“If you take the amount of classroom and technology and study and faculty office space in the Moore School … and just transfer it over, that’s no problem,” Pastides said. “It’s not like the Moore School will have to be outside of the building.”

This isn’t the first snag that plans for the new building have faced.

In 2011, USC said the building would cost $15 million more than originally thought, and earlier this year, it pushed the new building’s opening back by a semester because of delays in renovating the Close-Hipp Building. Under the original plans, construction would have finished in December.