National Student Exchange allows students to study at over 200 schools

The deadline is quickly approaching for students to study away at another school through the National Student Exchange program. This program allows students to get out of South Carolina and learn more about their own country.

There are over 200 schools in the United States, Canada, and U.S. territories such as Guam, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands that participates in the National Exchange Program. Students pay the same tuition they would at USC, but have the opportunity to study elsewhere.

This program provides an alternative for students who want to study at a different school, but don’t want to go abroad.

“I wanted to get out there for one semester. I didn’t really want to go to another country, I just wanted to explore this country,” said Cameron Polomski, a third-year environmental science student who is currently studying at the University of Idaho.

So far there have been 20 applications turned in, but students are still encouraged to apply. There is no limit to the number of students that USC can send.

“We would love to send out as many students as possible,” said Kimberly Dressler, a coordinator with student engagement.
Students who participate still get to experience different cultures and people, even though are not visiting a different country.

“I’ve learned about different kinds of people out west and I’ve learned about the western culture,” said Polomski, “It’s sort of like being in a different country. Here there is a different mindset, different customs, and different ways of speaking.”

This year, students have gone to nine universities in states as close as Georgia and as far away as California.

In the past, students have participated in the program because of internships, potential graduate schools or just to get out of South Carolina. Polomski said that he not only gets an opportunity to study in an area of the country where he might potentially have a career, but also to network and make connections that could potentially be very useful in the future.

USC is a popular destination for students who are from other parts of the country.

“We had 75 people who wanted to come to USC, but we can only take in as much as USC sends out,” Dressler said.
Students who participate in the program usually enjoy their experience.

“No one seems to regret it. It’s the time of their lives,” Dressler said. “Everyone says go do it.”

Applications can be picked up at the office of student engagement located in Patterson in the garden level. Applicants must have a minimum 2.75 GPA and be in good standing with the university.