In Brief: April 3, 2014

State Supreme Court reverses jury’s decision, rules in favor of fan

The state Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that the Gamecock Club breached the longtime agreement it had with a member when it imposed an annual seat licensing fee for season tickets at Williams-Brice Stadium.

George M. Lee III took out a $100,000 life insurance policy with USC as a sole beneficiary at one point and has been fighting the Yearly Equitable Seating program the Gamecock Club implemented in 2008. This seat-licensing fee required Lee to pay $325 for each of his eight seats every year.

The state Supreme Court reversed the decision of a jury trial that ruled in favor of the Gamecock Club.

“We conclude that the agreement unambiguously prohibits the university from requiring Lee to pay the seat license fee as a prerequisite for the opportunity to purchase tickets pursuant to the agreement,” the court said in its decision. “We reverse the decision of the trial court and remand for entry of judgment for Lee.”

Wooly mammoth bill halted after house vote

State Senate Majority Leader Harvey Peeler, R-Cherokee, objected to a bill that would make the Columbian mammoth the official state fossil of South Carolina, The State reported.

Olivia McConnell, 8, was the inspiration behind the bill Peeler halted after passing the House and heading to the Senate.

“It’s past time for the state of South Carolina to recognize we have enough state official whatevers,” Peeler said.

Peeler said he plans to draw up legislation that would put an end to adopting any new animals, foods, symbols, dances and events as officially South Carolina’s.

“The end needs to be now,” Peeler said.

South Carolina currently has 50 state symbols that range from a state migratory marine mammal to a state hospitality beverage.

Observatory dome lifted to museum roof

After two decades of planning, an observatory dome was lifted to the top of the South Carolina State Museum Wednesday, The State reported.

Plans for the observatory were put off several times due to high costs, but the dome, part of a $23 million Windows to New Worlds project, finally sits atop the museum.

The shiny 5,000-pound steel dome was lifted to the top of the 62-foot roof and pivoted to land on a steel circle that will allow the observatory to rotate 360 degrees.

“People said this would never happen, so we’re pretty excited,” said Tom Falvey, the museum’s director of education.

Falvey said finally getting the dome to the top of the museum was “one of those I-told-you-so moments” to all of the people who doubted the project over the years.