SAE rallies around member diagnosed with lymphoma

When David Simone was diagnosed with T-cell lymphoma cancer the fall of his junior year, his Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity brothers stepped up to the plate to help out.

“If it’s one of our own, we’ve definitely got to look out for him,” said Jamie McClement, SAE director of philanthropy. “People want to help more when there’s a personal connection.”

SAE will host the David Simone Softball Classic and Cheer Off on April 13. The day will start off with a cheerleading competition for sororities, when spectators will choose their favorite team by putting money in donation boxes throughout the day, and the winning team will receive a trophy.

The main event is a softball game between SAE and the USC Police Department at the Dreher High School baseball field. Tickets can be purchased from SAE brothers or at the gate for $12 and include admission to the game and a post-game barbecue at Tin Roof in the Vista.

All of the money raised will be donated to Simone’s medical fund.

After he was diagnosed in the fall of 2013, Simone returned home to Virginia Beach for tests and surgeries. He is now in remission but expects months of chemotherapy ahead.

“Although David is 400 miles away, he is constantly in our thoughts, hearts and prayers each and every day. He still has many months of grueling chemotherapy to undergo and the family’s medical bills are rising quickly,” McClement said in a press release. “We wanted to show our support as a chapter, and felt that raising money to help defray his medical expenses would be a wonderful way to show our support while he is some 400 miles away.”

Even though he has spent the last few months planning the event, McClement said he still thinks about the surprise he and the other brothers experienced upon hearing their brother’s diagnosis. He described Simone as smart and athletic, someone who loves to have fun and makes great grades in school.

“It was kind of the last thing we expected. No one expected anyone in our pledge class to get diagnosed with cancer, especially this early,” McClement said. “Everyone was kind of caught off guard by it.”

McClement and the other brothers hope the rest of the community puts their support behind the event.

“We hope that the entire USC Greek community and student body will come out to support our extremely worthwhile cause and help out our brother David Simone in his battle against cancer,” McClement said in a press release. “It will be a lot of fun, and we know that David and his family are truly grateful.”