A fair to remember

On opening day at the South Carolina State Fair, there were hundreds of games to play, rides to ride and snacks to snack on. Elderly couples and students alike searched for cheap thrills among the massive collection of fried food and fun prizes in the 80-degree October heat and humidity.

Every year, South Carolinians come from all over the state for the fair every year — this year over 600,000 are expected — but it's the fair workers that really bring diversity to the festivities. Many travel throughout the year to work fairs all over North America, and their job experience is a big part of what makes this fair come together so quickly.

“We enjoy what we do,” said Genard Koekemoer, a fair ride operator. “I like meeting new people, making new friends, and making each day a fun day at the fair.”

Most vendors and ride operators are from South Africa, thanks to a 9-month long program that sends South Africans to work in the U.S . Mary-Ann Kapp and Amanda Uys work at Guest Services,  taking care of complaints, lost children and first aid. Their time working the fair is one of many opportunities they have received to experience American pastimes.

an intense high-speed ride, and the Fun Slide in the children’s section. Kapp said the Remix is her new favorite, but Uys could only laugh.

“I’m more of a Ferris Wheel kind of girl,” she said. “I’m scared of rides.”

But there's a lot more than just rides. At one end of the fairgrounds, livestock pens house horses, pigs, sheep, cows, chickens, goats and even an 18-pound rabbit. But if farm animals aren’t exciting enough, feel free to feed the lemurs, watch a zebra graze or ride an elephant. 

Several artists and entertainers will perform throughout the week, ranging from local dancers and choirs to big-ticket names like Lee Brice  and MC Hammer.  

The animals and performers always draw quite the crowd, but some fairgoers had more pressing priorities.

Selen Aslaner, a second-year student at Midlands Tech held onto a stuffed prize, while her friend, first-year student Tatyana Jewell, planned her funnel cake-filled evening.

“The food is the best,” Jewell said.

And if the lines at the food stands were any indication, she's not the only one who thinks so.