Column: In poetry, "deeper" meaning sometimes elusive

Understanding the world of poetry can be a challenge to some and a breeze to others.

Professors always encourage students to see the message that is hidden in the text. There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to literature if the text supports one’s opinion.

However, just because the text supports it, does that make it the writer’s intended message? No one can call Jane Taylor and ask her what she wanted the audience to insinuate in her famous poem “The Star,” or better known as “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star."

Is there always a deeper meaning when it comes to poetry? That depends. Venn diagrams are all over Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr with one circle being what the poet meant and the other being what an English teacher believes.

Symbolism is an important literary technique in constructing a poem, but sometimes the curtains are just blue. Once again though, it is impossible or nearly impossible to get a hold of an author and just ask them what they meant.

What’s the concrete meaning? There is never a yes or no answer in the world of literature, it seems.

Jane Taylor, a personal favorite, had well-known literature works directed towards children. One of her works, “The Cow and the Ass," is a great way to teach children to be polite and grateful. When dissected it gets broken down into the cow being oppressed and needs to be saved.

How does a poem meant for a child turn into a spark for rebellion? Was Taylor secretly planning to start a wave of new thoughts? We cannot be sure, but we can say her texts supports this deeper meaning.

It can be frustrating while trying to find the “hidden” meaning, especially if no one else sees the poem from the same perspective. Trying to find answers from an askew description is completely different than piecing together metaphors and similes.

When it comes to a poem having a deeper meaning, the answer is maybe. It’s not exactly a crystal clear reply, but that is the good thing about literature. There is never a right answer, and there is never a completely wrong answer if you can justify it.

Look into the poem, and leave no stone unturned because there are so many possibilities when it comes to finding the meaning of a poem. As long as there is proof in the text and you’re confident enough, any simple poem can have that deep hidden meaning.