In Brief: Feb. 24, 2015

Teacher charged with possession of controlled substance

A Charleston County school teacher was charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute after seven pounds of marijuana were found in her home, according to WLTX. Faith Jones-Paulus surrendered to police early Monday morning. 

Jones-Paulus is a teacher at Haut Gaup Middle School and the report detailed that her home was located within a half mile of the school. Currently, she is on paid administrative leave from the district. 

The police were searching Jones-Paulus’ house after her husband was arrested on a gun charge and discovered the marijuana. 

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Missing woman's body found near car crash site

A woman’s body was found in the woods near where her car crashed days after she was reported missing, according to WIS-TV. Stephanie Callahan was found dead Sunday morning in Loris, South Carolina.

According to the South Carolina Highway Patrol, troopers responded to a crash last Thursday. They searched the area but didn’t find anyone near the site. The trooper on scene went to the address where the car was registered but was unable to contact anyone there. The car was then towed and all other leads were exhausted, according to the Highway Patrol.

The body was finally found on Sunday, a quarter mile inside the woods in a tree stand. Callahan’s family was enraged that they did not know about the crash, as the car was towed away without their knowledge. Officials from the Horry County Police Department will be assisting the SCHP in the case.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

North Carolina woman wins $188 million Powerball Jackpot

Marie Holmes from Raleigh, North Carolina has claimed the Powerball Jackpot of $188 million. Holmes’ ticket is one of three winning tickets for the Feb. 11 Powerball Jackpot that totals $564 million.

Holmes purchased the ticket and opted to receive the lump sum payout, worth approximately $127 million after taxes. She was unable to watch the initial drawing for the winning numbers and discovered that she was the winner after her friend posted the numbers online the next day.

She plans on using the money to give back to the community, the church and specifically the cerebral palsy organizations. She also plans on traveling and setting up college funds for her children. Ultimately, Holmes believes winning the jackpot won’t change who she is as a person and she will continue to study to become a nurse.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor