In Brief: Feb. 2, 2015

Clemson urged to increase diversity

Events that have occurred at Clemson this year have spurred faculty, staff and students to re-evaluate the lack of diversity at the university, according to The State. 

After a gang-themed frat party and hate-filled Yik-Yak commentary, the call for diversity increased. The college held its first diversity dialogue with students last week and has a diversity council in the works that would include students, staff and alumni. 

The Clemson graduate student government senate voted to support renaming Tillman Hall; however, the actuality of the change could take a long while to actually accomplish. The change would require Clemson’s trustees and the approval of two-thirds of state legislators.

According to Rhonndda Thomas, an African American Literature professor as Clemson, believes that now is the “real turning point for the university.”

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

McMaster’s chief of staff charged with DUI

Lt. Gov. Henry McMaster's chief of staff was charged with a DUI last weekend, according to The State.

A Columbia police officer at the intersection of Assembly and Gervais Street early Saturday morning noticed Mark Plowden’s vehicle traveling south on Assembly St. in the northbound lane. Plowmen was arrested at 12:41 a.m.

Plowmen’s blood-alcohol level was less than .10, according to reports; a level of .08 is evidence of intoxication in South Carolina. After his arrest, Plowden was released from the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center on a $1,022 personal recognizance bond.

As of this weekend, Plowden and McMaster have been unavailable for comment regarding the incident.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

5 found dead in Georgia home, suspect named

Five people were found dead in a home in LaGrange, Georgia late Saturday night, according to the WIS-TV. 

The police went to the victims' home after an unsuccessful attempt to contact them. Once the police had arrived, they made a forced entry into the home and found the five bodies in what appeared to be a homicide.

Thomas Lee, 26, has been named a person of interest in the murder investigation, according to the Troupe County Sheriffs’ department. Currently, there is no warrant out for Lee’s arrest. According to the Troup County law enforcement, he could be charged with five counts of murder. 

The cause of death will not be released until the bodies have been examined and autopsied  in Atlanta.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor