Innovista Construction signals beginning of new development for USC

Reported by the Free Times last week, construction crews have begun to break ground on the corner of Greene and Lincoln streets.

The plan, which has origins dating back two generations of University presidents, was designed to develop improvements to various properties in the area, which would become a living center with a hybrid focus on providing a positive academic environment, in a social and fun locale.

According to the official USC Master Plan document, the Innovista Master Plan will introduce a mixed use street design, incorporating traditional aesthetics of places like the Horseshoe.

The ultimate goal, according to the document, is to create an "urban, mixed-use, live-work academic and research district" near campus, where future students can not only live in a university environment, but also help to grow a large part of the local and state economies by spurring development.

According to reporting done by the Free Times, Richland County Transportation Director Rob Perry says that bike lanes and sidewalks would be an integral part of the neighborhood layout.

“It’s going to have lots of trees and fountains,” Perry said. “And a company area, so the intent will really be for people to park in the Vista and walk or ride their bikes around and really kind of put an emphasis on walking and not driving everywhere.”

Additionally the University Master Plan states that "The University of South Carolina is embedded within the historic street grid and urban fabric of the City of Columbia. The residential and commercial neighborhoods adjoining the University are an important asset to the University and should be celebrated ... This location is convenient to the Greek Village, proposed new student housing, proposed academic facilities, Strom Thurmond Wellness & Fitness Center and parking for commuting students."

Ultimately, the idea of the future neighborhood is enticing even to those students who won't see the completed result.

"I think that building a new neighborhood in that area would be great, if not for the fact that I think it would tie the school in more with the Vista," fourth-year computer science major Enyi Nwoke said. "Sometimes it feels like there's a defining line between campus and the rest of the city, but I think that if they built something like this, it would really help make the area a lot more convenient and fun."