In our opinion: No threat to horseshoe beyond a shadow of a doubt

The "Save our Horseshoe" movement is founded on the premise that a proposed housing project on the property currently home to Sandy's and the Baptist College Ministries will cast a shadow that will somehow destroy our historic horseshoe.

We're unclear about, and the website and its adjoining petition are notably unclear on, how exactly a shadow would be a detriment to the Horseshoe since it already is mostly shaded at ground level from the thick tree cover and the historic buildings around its perimeter. If a building shadow were somehow more deadly for the Horseshoe than the other shadows, wouldn't the shadows from the 18-story Cornell Arms apartment complex (which is both closer to the Horseshoe and taller than the proposed 15-story "ICON" housing that is currently under fire) already have turned the area into a desolate wasteland?

As to the potential damage to the Horseshoe's photogenic nature, the aforementioned tree cover and Wardlaw College will likely combine to completely block the new housing complex from view from most places on the Horseshoe.

Even assuming, in arguendo, that the My Carolina Alumni Association and its Save Our Horseshoe movement is correct and the new housing complex does cast some darkness on the Horseshoe for a few hours a day (which really doesn't sound so bad with temperatures commonly exceeding 100 degrees over the summer months), we'd still support the construction of this complex. The building plans include space for 704 beds in a prime location for upperclassmen that want to be able to walk to class but not deal with all the University housing regulations. That's not to mention the seven stories of parking, creating 556 central parking spots to help alleviate our well documented parking woes; even if use of this garage is limited to residents of the complex, it would still mean hundreds fewer students commuting from off-campus housing.

We appreciate that our alumni care so much about the school, and that they are willing to lend their time and money to the advancement of current and future Carolinians. While the Save Our Horseshoe movement might be a great way to boost awareness, membership and fundraising for the My Carolina Alumni Association, it is in no way beneficial to the University and the students that My Carolina is attempting to protect. To the contrary, this petition is in direct opposition to the parking and housing needs of students.