What you need to know about Gamecock football in 2015

South Carolina and head football coach Steve Spurrier followed the first three 11-win seasons in school history with a disappointing 7-6 record last season.

However, many experts are optimistic about the Gamecocks’ chances in 2015. Expectations are all over the board depending on which fan, coach or analyst you talk to.

While a few of the most optimistic experts in college football have the Gamecocks near the top or even winning the SEC East, some predict the Gamecocks will fail to make a bowl game for the first time since 2007.

Key Matchups

South Carolina’s two biggest rivals have national championship aspirations this season as both Georgia and Clemson have top-notch teams. Continuing its tradition, South Carolina will play Georgia in week three and Clemson to close out the regular season.

The Gamecocks travel to Sanford Stadium on September 19 for a matchup with the ninth-ranked Bulldogs. The Gamecocks will face Heisman-hopeful Nick Chubb and a deadly Georgia running game in a game that is traditionally one of the best in the SEC.

South Carolina only plays four away games this season, compared to seven home contests and the season opener against North Carolina at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte.

Aside from the traditional rivalry games, the Gamecocks have a few key contests. No single game this season is more important for South Carolina than the season opener. While Spurrier will have obviously chosen a starting quarterback by that date, a bad first half could open the door for a backup to take control of the offense and become the hot hand — and the starter — for the rest of the season.

The Gamecocks will travel to College Station on Halloween for a matchup with SEC West rival Texas A&M. South Carolina’s rotational SEC West opponent this year will be LSU.

Clemson will come to Columbia on November 28, the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

The Pressure’s On

South Carolina only returns five offensive and eight defensive starters. Thus, much of the burden will fall on a few veteran players, at least for the first few weeks of the season. If the offense begins to stutter, expect Spurrier to get the ball to junior receiver and Biletnikoff hopeful Pharoh Cooper.

Cooper finished second in the SEC with 1136 receiving yards last season, and the inexperienced quarterbacks will look to him early and often.

Because of this added pressure, Spurrier may rely heavily on fifth-year senior running back Brandon Wilds to carry much of the load for the offense. Wilds has been a solid backup for the likes of Marcus Lattimore and Mike Davis and will get the chance to become the starter this season.

On defense, junior college transfer Marquavius Lewis faces massive expectations at the defensive end position. A year after the defensive line accounted for just seven of the Gamecocks’ 14 sacks, a slew of junior college transfers will look to re-establish South Carolina’s traditionally effective line.

Quarterback Situation

As of now, it’s a four horse race for the starting quarterback position, though most experts expect it to come down to redshirt sophomore Connor Mitch and true freshman Lorenzo Nunez.

“The quarterback battle is going on,” Spurrier said. “Like I told them, we’re charting everything … We’ll chart it up and sort of let you know how they did later on.”

If the past 35 years are any indication, Spurrier will play the quarterback situation close to the chest.

Star Watch

Every year, several players show promise in the preseason, but few turn into stars. Last season, linebacker Jonathan Walton and wide receiver Pharoh Cooper emerged as national talents. This season, while quite a few names are being tossed around, there are two players who should have breakout seasons in 2015.

Redshirt freshman Deebo Samuel is a physical specimen. The six foot, 205-pound receiver reportedly ran a 4.36 second 40-yard dash in July. His route running ability has many alumni likening him to current San Francisco 49er Bruce Ellington. If the taller and faster Samuel can develop the timing that Ellington had with his quarterbacks, he could actually outperform Cooper in terms of receiving yards and touchdowns this season.

Sophomore DJ Smith played well at times last season, but a lack of consistency in the secondary hurt Smith’s numbers and playing time. This season, Smith is slated to take over the starting free safety job and will look to anchor what could be a surprisingly effective secondary.

Smith’s aggressive and hard-hitting style has drawn comparisons to former Gamecock and current Tampa Bay Buccaneer DJ Swearinger. The Gamecock secondary could use a bruiser as the defense looks to regain its hard-hitting reputation.

The Gamecocks will take on the Tar Heels on September 3 in Charlotte. Tickets are still available and the game will be broadcast on ESPN at 6:00 p.m. eastern.