Women's soccer has first loss of season to Clemson 2-1

Traveling to Clemson for their first road game of the season, the South Carolina women’s soccer team lost 2-1.

With this first loss of the season, the No. 8 Gamecocks are now 2-1-0 overall. They will return home to play Sunday against Coastal Carolina in Stone Stadium.

Although South Carolina was first to score in the 9th minute, this was the only goal they obtained in the duration of the game. Sophomore Savannah McCaskill scored with the assist of junior Sophie Groff. This was the first assist of the season for Groff and the second goal for McCaskill.

The Gamecocks had a total of 14 shots with 10 in the first half and four in the second. Five of these shots were by McCaskill alone.

The Tigers responded in the 14th minute with a header from sophomore Shannon Horgan and the assist from freshman Samantha Staab. Clemson finished their scoring quickly in the 16th minute from junior Catrina Atanda. The assists came from Staab and junior Abby Jones.

Clemson had a total of eight shots for the game split evenly between both halves.

In the 73rd minute McCaskill received a yellow card for South Carolina. McCaskill played a total of 75 minutes in this away game.

For both teams the goalies stayed in the goal the complete 90 minutes. Senior Caroline Kelly for the Gamecocks allowed two goals and one save. For the Tigers junior Kailen Sheridan allowed one goal and had two saves for the duration of the game.