Gamecocks return home against FIU looking to snap three-game losing streak

The men’s soccer team has struggled recently, losing three straight games. On Tuesday night, they look to snap that streak against a Florida International University team that sits fifth in the Conference USA standings. 

A win for FIU would catapult them even with South Carolina at third in the standings, but a victory for the Gamecocks would put them on top of the table with 15 points. With three games left to play (two of them conference matches), the Gamecocks need all the points they can get to draw a better seed at the Conference USA tournament.

The Gamecocks have stumbled in their past three games, dropping two vital conference games to the two top teams. Traveling to No. 15 Kentucky, South Carolina couldn’t put the ball into the net even though they had four shots on goal compared to Kentucky’s two. The only score of the game was the Wildcat’s Jordan Wilson’s header off a penalty free kick in the 31st minute.

Then South Carolina had another road game five days later in Charlotte. The 49ers dominated the game, outshooting the Gamecocks 18 to 10 with 10 to 5 of those shots on target. Two different Charlotte players scored, and they wasted no time doing so. In the 3rd minute, Brandt Bronico took a free kick to the back of the net. Then in the 21st minute, Kyle Parker got his own rebound and kicked in a goal from 13 yards out. The game ended 2-0 as the Gamecocks could not convert on any of their attempts.

South Carolina hasn’t played well on the road; they are 2-6 after the Charlotte loss. Luckily, their last three games are at home where they are 5-0-1. Wednesday's opponent, FIU, is average on the road, going 4-3. The Gamecock defense will have their hands full trying to handle a high-octane Panthers offensive scheme. 

Under head coach Scott Calabrese’s direction, FIU has only been shut out in two games, scoring 33 goals in 13 contests. They lead the Conference USA in almost every major offensive category — points (95), goals (33) and assists (29). Luis Betancur leads their offense with seven goals, yet there are 11 different Panthers that have found the back of the net this year.

The game Tuesday will be played at Stone Stadium at 7 p.m. It is a pink out, so all attendees are encouraged to wear pink. Pink rally towels will be given out before the game, and the first 200 students will receive free pizza.