In-Brief: 10/21/15

Former U.S. Senator drops out of 2016 Democratic Primary battle

Jim Webb, former U.S. Senator from the commonwealth of Virginia and Secretary of the Navy under President Ronald Reagan, has ended his bid for the Democratic nomination for president at a press conference held at the National Press Club, according to reports by CNN. Webb has struggled in polls behind front-runner Hillary Clinton and Vermont firebrand Bernie Sanders. He expressed discontent with the Democratic Party in his press conference and said that he does not see himself endorsing any other Democrats in the field nor has he ruled out a third-party run. Webb's withdrawal leaves the Democratic field at five candidates: Clinton, Sanders, former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley , Harvard professor of law Lawrence Lessig and former Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee.

Netflix to revive "Gilmore Girls" in limited run

TVLine reports that the streaming service Netflix has finalized a deal to revive the early 2000s WB drama "Gilmore Girls" in a limited run. Reports indicate that Amy Sherman-Palladino, the show's creator who left following the penultimate season, will head up the new run of four 90-minute episodes. No contracts have been signed with any cast members, but it is thought that most major players from the original cast will return in some capacity. Representatives from Warner Bros. and Netflix have declined to comment to media. The show's original seven-year run aired on The WB (now known as The CW) alongside other hit teen dramas such as "Charmed" and "Dawson's Creek" from 2000 to 2007.

Former SC lawmaker sentenced to 37 months in prison

Former State Rep. Thad Viers, who represented the Myrtle Beach area from 2002 to 2012, was sentenced to 37 months in prison and a $875,000 fine Tuesday on money laundering charges, according to WIS. Thirteen other charges for which Viers was indicted were dismissed as Viers agreed to pay restitution to victims of those alleged crimes. In April, Viers released a statement admitting his involvement with a money laundering scheme. He was indicted by a grand jury in August of 2014, and Viers was also found guilty of harassment and stalking in 2014 as part of a conflict with an ex-girlfriend. Viers will surrender himself to U.S. Marshals and begin his sentence Friday.