In Brief: 11/03/15

Anonymous group begins publishing identities of alleged KKK members

According to "International Business Times," the group that last week said they would uncover and expose Ku Klux Klan members has begun its vow by publishing details of those said to be associated with the Klan. Anonymous, a “hacktivist” collective group, stated last week that they gained information on the identities of 1,000 KKK members from a compromised Twitter account connected with the group. The group also gathered information including phone numbers and email addresses of alleged Klan members and posted them on an anonymous social message board and blog, Pastebin. There has been no verification of any of the information, but Anonymous stated that by Thursday, Nov. 5, the organization will release the full identities of those 1,000 members.

—Compiled by Patrick Ingraham, News Editor

Lawyer defending students arrested in Spring Valley High School incident starts fundraisers

WIS reported Monday that two GoFundMe pages have been organized for the two teens who were arrested in connection with the Oct. 26 incident involving a school resource officer forcing a disruptive student out of her desk. Attorney and state Rep. Todd Rutherford will defend the two students, and on Oct. 29, he created two fundraising accounts, one of which is for the student who was thrown and then dragged by former Spring Valley High School resource officer Ben Fields, which has raised over $44,000 in four days. Rutherford also created a second page for Niya Kenny, who filmed the incident and was subsequently arrested for defending her classmate; that page has raised over $3,400 in the same amount of time.

Former legislator indicted for misconduct, inappropriate behavior

The indictment of South Carolina Rep. Nelson Hardwick, R-Horry, was announced by the South Carolina Attorney General's office on Monday. On Monday, Oct. 22, the Richland County Grand Jury indicted Hardwick for misconduct in office after he supposedly used his power to “inappropriately touch” a House of Representatives employee in his office, The State reported. After an investigation by the House Speaker’s office of the incident, Hardwick resigned in May during the middle of his sixth term in the South Carolina House. The charge against him could carry 10 years in prison.