Men's basketball to begin season against Norfolk State

The South Carolina Gamecocks will begin their regular season Saturday night when they face the Norfolk State Spartans at home.

As a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, Norfolk State does not face the level of competition that an SEC team does. But Norfolk State has demonstrated an ability to win within its division, boasting four straight seasons with a winning record.

“You’re talking about a team that’s got a winning culture," Head Coach Frank Martin said. "That’s the hardest thing to overcome sometimes. It's not someone’s talent; it’s their fabric. They’re a program that’s used to winning."

The team’s head coach, Robert Jones, is entering his third season and has accumulated a 39-29 record since his arrival. Norfolk State’s major strength is its wing duo, consisting of senior guards Jeff Short and D’Shon Taylor. They complement each other’s game, with the 6-foot-5 Taylor’s strength being off the dribble and Short’s being in the mid-post.

Both players can score at an elite level, averaging 32.1 points per game last season as a combo.

“We’re playing a team that has two dynamic wings scorers ... They’re both real good jump shooters," Martin said.

Defending the two guards will be South Carolina’s main objective. The Gamecocks have the advantage in the frontcourt and off the bench with the influx of new recruits. Senior forwards Mindaugas Kacinas and Laimonas Chatkevicius are paramount to a South Carolina victory because of their experience and size advantage. Thus, Martin will likely emphasize an inside-out game plan, especially at the start.

South Carolina’s guards struggled with their outside shooting last season, namely junior Sindarius Thornwell, who shot a career low 26.8 percent from three. Nagging knee tendinitis and the lack of production from the frontcourt doomed Thornwell, who admittedly excels when attacking the basket.

“My mindset changed where — I was a slasher, (but) I became more of a jump shooter last year. And that’s not my game. I’ve never been that type of player,” Thornwell said.

Now, healthier than ever, Thornwell is expected to elevate his game to new heights, and Saturday’s game against the Spartans will be his first test before the Gamecocks move on to face more talented teams. Martin is also likely to experiment with the lineups to start the season in order to evaluate which recruits are prepared for the big stage and which will crumble under pressure.

Norfolk State is the perfect opponent to work out the kinks of the overhauled roster.