Column: Gamecocks at their best with Dozier on court

Coming into the season, the hype surrounding freshman guard PJ Dozier was real. Before he had even set foot upon the hardwood of Colonial Life Arena, the question of whether fans should expect him to stay beyond this season was already being tossed around. The five-star was the first name to come up when the men’s basketball team was mentioned, and it was on his shoulders that this team was expected to win, both for this year and hopefully a few more as well. While the start of this season hasn’t been a year of stardom for Dozier, this team is far better with him on the court.

Head coach Frank Martin has not been easy on his incoming McDonald’s All-American. He hasn’t pampered him, or even allowed for much error at all. He’s left the ball in Dozier’s court: Play well and you play, make mistakes and you don’t. It has been as simple as that.

This short leash has not allowed for Dozier to put together the stats that many would have expected out of him coming into the season. His stat lines have been quite erratic. This randomness is best displayed in a three-game stretch against Lipscomb, Western Carolina and USF. Against Lipscomb, Dozier scored 11 points in 23 minutes but was then held scoreless in just 12 minutes the following game. The freshman then bounced back against USF, scoring 12 points in 26 minutes played.

Dozier’s Achilles heel this year has been turnovers, which has frustrated not only his coach but also his teammates. In the second half Saturday against Missouri, Dozier turned the ball over before missing a layup a few minutes later, and Martin was quick to pull his young point guard. After a brief conversation, Martin loosened the reigns on Dozier, and he re-entered the game, which would prove to be a mistake. Dozier was quick to turn the ball over again, leading to senior forward Michael Carrera committing a costly foul and heading to the bench. As soon as the foul was called, both Martin and Carrera jumped all over their point guard, infuriated by another miscue.

Fans, teammates and coaches alike have learned to deal with Dozier’s mistakes. PJ Dozier is good — there’s no denying that. He may not yet be the player that he was hyped up to be, but he often shows flashes of the player he can become. Dozier is not just a good defender — he is a great one. He may not yet have a consistent three-point shot, but he makes up for it with his excellent midrange jumper. Also, while his turnovers are a problem, they are overshadowed by his incredible playmaking and ability to create open looks for his teammates. There is no doubt — despite the turnovers and occasional boneheaded freshman mistakes — that this South Carolina team is better with their freshman point guard on the floor.