Student Government announces dates and deadlines for 2016 elections

Student Government has announced their important dates and deadlines for those interested in running in the 2016 student body elections. The list includes mandatory informational meetings for candidates and filing deadlines as well as information on debates and when elections will take place.

Those students interested in running for a position in the student senate can attend an informational meeting on Jan. 14 in the senate chambers from 7 to 8 p.m., and those students interested in running for an executive position can attend an informational meeting that same evening from 8 to 9 p.m. There are mandatory informational meetings on Jan. 26 in Russell House for both senate and executive candidates from 7 to 8 p.m. and 8 to 9 p.m. respectively.

The filing period for 2016 candidates will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Jan. 19-20. Students can file for candidacy in the Leadership and Service Center.

Student Government will also host an executive candidates debate in the Russell House Ballrooms on Feb. 9 from 7 to 9 p.m.

Elections for 2016 Student Government positions will be held on Feb. 16-17, and any necessary run-off elections will be held from Feb. 23-24. Winning candidates will be inaugurated in a ceremony to be held at Rutledge Chapel on March 16 that will be followed by an Inauguration Reception at the President's House on the historic Horseshoe.