SpringFest to take over Greene Street, highlight student musicians

SpringFest will bring attention to student performers at USC and provide lighthearted fun in the middle of the week. The festival will take place on Greene Street and will have live music, games, inflatables and food from noon to 8 p.m. Wednesday. 

Carolina Productions, the organization in charge of entertainment events on campus, is seeking to raise awareness about students who perform music at USC.

“Musically, the biggest highlight of SpringFest is the significance of student performances throughout the day," said Ian Morrison, the concerts coordinator at Carolina Productions. "There will be students performing on the stage between 12-2 (p.m.), and 5-7 (p.m.) until R. City performs, and this will be an excellent opportunity to highlight student talent on a larger scale than our standard Acoustic Cafe performances."

R. City, a musical group composed of brothers Theron and Timothy Thomas, will be the main attraction of the event. R. City have been singing and rapping from a young age. The brothers have proven to be an influential force in the music world — while they produce their own songs, they also write and produce songs for artists such as Usher, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber and Juicy J.

The SpringFest event planning had to be well-orchestrated and required cooperation from many different fundamental aspects of the event.

“It's a collaborative effort between the Daytime Events, Special Events, and Concerts committees of Carolina Productions," said Scott McFall, a second-year anthropology student.  "It's the largest event Carolina Productions has attempted in recent memory, and we're really excited to bring Greene Street to life with such a full event."

McFall, the special events coordinator at Carolina Productions, said that the biggest challenge was coordinating all the different aspects to create the perfect festival atmosphere. 

"There's a lot of things to keep tabs on from every angle of the event, and the logistical obstacles were by far the most challenging," he said.

Given that the event is free and on Greene Street all afternoon and into the evening, all USC students should be able to attend the event.

“It will be a great way to relax on a beautiful Spring day," said Morrison, a third-year marine science student. "We're all in the midst of the stressful last month of school, and this will be a great way to enjoy some music and relax."

Hopefully the start of a new tradition, SpringFest will be a hard event to miss, and is a welcome reprieve from school work on a sunny spring day.