Frank Martin, Gamecocks expect to keep building on strong season

When Frank Martin took the head coach position at South Carolina in March 2012, he left a strong Kansas State team that had made the NCAA Tournament in four of five seasons to take over a Gamecock squad fresh off a 10-21 season. By his fourth season in Columbia, Martin led South Carolina to a school-record 25 wins, while he had already brought in four top-100 recruits during his tenure.

With the departure of seven of last year's players, including All-SEC First Team forward Michael Carrera, many have doubt in the Gamecocks' ability to keep the momentum moving forward. However, with a trio of seniors and five-star sophomore PJ Dozier, Martin doesn't see why this team can't be as good as last year's bunch.

"I’m excited about this team," Martin said. "I think this team has the makings of being very good. We’ve gotta make all the pieces come together though."

Several pieces will be unfamiliar to fans, as newcomers make up seven spots of the South Carolina roster. None are more notable than four-star forward Sedee Keita, as only two Gamecock bigs have played for Martin before, including Jarrell Holliman, who played in just four games last season.

Martin expects Holliman and sophomore Chris Silva to step into leadership roles for the young big men, and he says the more experienced players will be counted on to play significant minutes early in the season.

"We have to have patience, and early in the year, probably rely on the guys that have been around a little bit more while those young guys learn and grow up," Martin said. "And by the end of the year, hopefully we can have that balance that all good teams have, so we can become the best team this team can be."

In the backcourt, the Gamecocks have a lot more experience to lean on. Seniors Sindarius Thornwell, Duane Notice and Justin McKie have seen time in the vast majority of their games under Martin, with Thornwell starting all 34 games last season and Notice earning the SEC Sixth Man of the Year award. With such a young team, Martin will rely on the leadership of his senior trio to steer the newcomers in the right direction.

"We are extremely proud of who they are, how they conduct themselves, how they represent us off and on the court, and I know their teammates respect them a lot," Martin said of his three seniors, who were part of his first true recruiting class.

Though the Gamecocks had another experienced trio of seniors last season, Thornwell, Notice and McKie believe they've been serving as leaders for quite some time.

"It’s happened pretty much every year since we’ve been here," McKie said of the turnover of personnel. "This time around, we’re just older, we’re wiser. We know what to do, what not to do, we know how to handle the new guys as far as off the court issues and on the court stuff."

"Everybody is trying to say we’re leaders now, but we’ve been leaders since we’ve been here," Thornwell added.

The seniors echo the message of Martin, saying that missing the tournament last year was a disappointment, but that the focus has been shifted to the upcoming season.

"At the end of the day, it’s our fault for even putting ourselves in the situation," Thornwell said of getting left off the bubble last season. "This year, we’ve gotta work harder and do a little bit extra, do a little more to make sure those mistakes don’t happen."

After finishing third in the SEC, beating nine top 100 programs and winning 11 conference games, it's hard to imagine South Carolina taking another step forward this season. However, Martin emphasizes that a team's record isn't always the best barometer for improvement.

"If we win 21 games but make the NCAA Tournament, there’s gonna be a lot people saying ‘well, they’re not as good’ because we won fewer games," Martin said. "But if we make the tournament, does that make it a greater season?"

With unproven faces likely playing big minutes, it's tough to know exactly how the season will shake out for the Gamecocks. Fans can be sure of one thing, however, as the players' focus hasn't changed.

"The goal remains the same," Thornwell said. "Make the tournament."

The Gamecocks begin their pursuit of the postseason with official practice Monday. South Carolina will take the court for an exhibition against Newberry on Nov. 6 before opening regular season play at home against Louisiana Tech on Nov. 11.