Brief: Equal Justice Initiative founder to receive Key to Columbia

Bryan Stevenson is a Harvard-educated black lawyer who over three decades has worked to help release 115 men from death row, after proving they were prejudicially convicted. Now his nonprofit Equal Justice Initiative in Montgomery, Ala. has a new goal: to place memorial markers at some of the 4,000 lynching sites across the south. Here, Brian stands outside the building, where he has erected a sign calling attention to the site's role as a  southern slave auction. (John M. Glionna/Los Angeles Times/TNS)
Bryan Stevenson is a Harvard-educated black lawyer who over three decades has worked to help release 115 men from death row, after proving they were prejudicially convicted. Now his nonprofit Equal Justice Initiative in Montgomery, Ala. has a new goal: to place memorial markers at some of the 4,000 lynching sites across the south. Here, Brian stands outside the building, where he has erected a sign calling attention to the site's role as a southern slave auction. (John M. Glionna/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Equal Justice Initiative founder Bryan Stevenson will be awarded the Key to the City of Columbia while in the area to speak at The Township.

Stevenson will receive the key from Mayor Steve Benjamin, who is introducing Stevenson at the event. 

The award-winning author will headline the Justice 360 event set for Thursday at The Township. That event is free and open to the public, with doors opening at 5 p.m.