Gamecocks rout Benedict in tune-up for tough opener

The South Carolina women's basketball team unveiled its new look Sunday in an exhibition against Benedict College, and the Gamecocks trounced the visiting Lady Tigers, coming away with a 120-49 win.

With three new starters, including two who were playing their first game in the garnet and black, South Carolina jumped out to a hot start, leading 35-13 at the end of the first quarter. The team appeared to let up just a bit after taking a 72-23 lead into halftime, but the Gamecocks still outscored their opponents 48-26 after the break.

We were expecting the strong games from A'ja Wilson and Alaina Coates, but we still have plenty to learn about this year's Gamecocks. Here are the three biggest takeaways from Sunday's exhibition.

Under the radar

There was no surprise in A'ja Wilson's 22 points, Kaela Davis' 20 or Alaina Coates' 16, but the Gamecocks' highest point total came from a surprising source: freshman Mikiah Herbert Harrigan, the third frontcourt player on the roster. 

Harrigan came away with game-highs with 23 points and 11 rebounds while playing just 21 minutes. 

"Kiki Harrigan ... she's got potential to be a really good player," head coach Dawn Staley said after the game. 

Harrigan, the No. 12 forward in the 2016 recruiting class, was named 8A Player of the Year in Florida last year after averaging 19 points and 11 rebounds. Much of the hype surrounding this freshman class has been focused on the cycle's No. 28 player Tyasha Harris, but Staley has high praise for Harrigan as well.

"She puts in extra from a conditioning standpoint. She puts in extra watching film," Staley said of Harrigan. "She wants to be a great player, and she's got all the key ingredients to do that."

Transfer of power

South Carolina's first three possessions of the game were focused on inside-out offense, running through the All-American duo of Wilson and Coates. 

Despite that, former All-ACC transfers Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray had liberty with the offense, combining to take 28 shots and score 35 points. Davis and Gray were volume scorers at their former schools, and it's no secret that they have to adjust to playing with two other stars.

"We are gonna have some balance," Staley said. "They are doing a great job passing the ball and moving the ball around. It's a work in progress."

The transfers also represent the Gamecocks' biggest outside shooting threat, though they combined to make just three of 10 attempts from deep on Sunday. Gray shot 41.8 percent from beyond the arc during her freshman year at North Carolina, while Davis ranks seventh in made threes in Georgia Tech history, despite playing just two seasons for the Yellow Jackets.

Both have proven their ability to score, and that's why Staley has no problem with someone like Davis taking 17 shots. 

"We're going to have to live with her taking some ill-advised shots at times because she's capable," Staley said. "She shot a 25-footer in transition right in stride, and those are shots that she's capable of making that we probably would've cringed if somebody else were to do that."

On the break

The Gamecocks had a clear emphasis on playing fast, as missed Benedict shots quickly became outlet passes to easy layups, as South Carolina scored 37 fast break points. It wasn't only missed shots, as the Gamecocks came up with 20 steals, led by three apiece from point guards Bianca Cuevas-Moore and Tyasha Harris.

Both point guards were quick to get out and facilitate the offense in transition, as they combined for 12 assists. While they share a common trait in quickness, Staley is excited about the different skills the two guards bring to the table. 

"She's a different-looking point guard than Bianca," Staley said of Harris. "Having those two and Araion (Bradshaw), just having three different-looking point guards that give us something different."

All three proved capable of running the break quickly, which is a major focus for South Carolina this season. 

"I like the fact that we have the opportunity to play a little bit quicker," Staley said. 

She added that the quick pace did lead to some turnovers, but said that's going to happen when the Gamecocks play as fast as they want to.

Next up

South Carolina will travel to Columbus to take on Preseason All-American Kelsey Mitchell and No. 7 Ohio State for the regular season opener on Nov. 14 at 6 p.m. The Gamecocks defeated the Buckeyes 88-80 in Colonial Life Arena last season despite Mitchell's 36 points.