Column: South Carolina will always be a football school

It’s simple. South Carolina is not and will not become a “basketball school.”

This is no knock on the recent successes of the men’s and women’s basketball programs. It is not meant to undercut their tremendous accomplishments, or the overwhelming support that the Gamecock community has put behind them. These programs have surged into the national limelight with South Carolina fans accompanying them every step of the way.

But that still will not change the deep-set culture at this university, the financial landscape of the conference that South Carolina resides in and the special spot in most fans hearts where football resides — a spot that losses, coaching changes or failure can not change.

We should begin by offering a simple definition: What does it mean to be a “football school"?

Others may disagree, but for the purpose of this argument the definition is such: a school with an image most closely tied with the sport of football. A university with traditions stretching deepest into the sport of football.

And here at South Carolina, both are undoubtedly true. What sport a school is defined by is not dependent on short term success or failure, but long-standing traditions and social stigmas.

To offer what it would take for South Carolina to be a basketball school, I will paint you a picture of South Carolina as such.

The year is 2037, and South Carolina is a member of the Big East Conference. Long ago they left the Southeastern Conference, which in 2014 spent almost $14 million on football programs and just over $5 million on basketball programs. Students stumble up to the doors of Colonial Life from the local tailgate lots, as 50-year-old men speak not of Connor Shaw or Marcus Lattimore, but Sindarius Thornwell.

In this scenario, the men’s basketball coach will not be paid nearly a million dollars less than the football coach. Preseason basketball games will sell out, basketball will be the first thing to come to mind when national sports fans hear “the University of South Carolina,” and at freshman orientations, double spur pumps for made free throws will be taught instead of football chants.

But South Carolina will never be at that point. There is too much history residing in the football program, too much money being pumped into the sport and too many social activities tied to the game day experience.

Let’s continue to revel in the successes of our basketball programs, just knowing that this school will always be a “football school” despite basketball’s accomplishments.