Vista shooting alarms students

Columbia woke up excited for football Saturday but was met with the worrying news of a shooting in the popular Vista district. 

What happened?

Eight people were injured just after 2 a.m. Saturday when shots rang out at the Empire Supper Club, located at 920 Lady St. Some victims, who range from 22 to 52 years old, are in critical condition, according to the Columbia Police Department. 

One of the victims was visiting Columbia for the Gamecock football game against the University of Kentucky. Officials from both schools, including USC President Harris Pastides, say they are in contact with the woman's family. 

Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin addressed the incident on Twitter, writing that he is "Sick & tired of this culture of senseless violence that grips our country."

Empire's business license has been revoked and the business has been deemed a public nuisance. Officials say there were prior incidents at the location, and they described the shooting as an "intentional act" between two parties who were targeting each other.

Four men have been arrested in connection with the incident. They face charges ranging from attempted murder to unlawful possession of a firearm and accessory after the fact. 

Columbia Police said in a press conference Saturday they are working with the Richland County Sheriff's Department and other local law enforcement agencies to determine if there are any connections to other crimes in the area.

Surprised, but not deterred

The Vista, one of Columbia's largest entertainment districts, is popular with USC students and close to university facilities such as Colonial Life Arena. Many students knew of the incident and found it worrying, but not all are ready to blacklist the area when making their evening plans.

As an exchange student from Australia, Madeline Bolton says she plans to rely on the judgement of friends she's made on campus who know the area better. She admitted that the shooting made her feel "a little unsafe" and was atypical from her experiences at home in Australia. 

But when asked if the incident would affect her plans for going out, she said "probably not," citing that others don't seem "that worried."

First-year sport and entertainment management student Dom D'auria heard about the incident at Saturday's football game, and he acknowledged the incident would make him think twice about visiting the district.

"I'd probably want to stay away from there," he said.

Grace Wilson, a University of Georgia student in town to see D'auria, expressed concern for her friend's wellbeing.

"I think it affects how I feel about him going to those areas," she said.